Wood ID help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
On a recent vacation to Arizona my wife and I stopped at a candle shop to look around. I asked the guy behind the counter if he knew of any wood suppliers in the Phoenix area that sold Mesquite or if he knew of where I might be able to pick some up. He said "yep", walked me out of his store and showed me a great big pile of what he said was Mesquite and he also told me to help myself. Since my wife and I flew, getting a lot wasn't doable but I did find one piece that will render several knife scales, pens and I'm hoping for a couple bottle stoppers. I'm looking for confirmation that this is actually Mesquite and not some other species of wood. After cutting a small section off and putting some WOP to bring out the grain I realize now that I should have driven my truck down and picked up a bunch. Thanks in advance for any help. The piece is about 3-5" in diameter and for as small as it is it's very heavy.

Mesquite 2.jpg Mesquite 1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Bark, colors, and grain look like the mesquite I have a shop full of. Thin ring of light sapwood is characteristic as well. It is beautiful wood and you'll love working with it. Get ready to spend time sharpening though.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You could try smoking a brisket with it . . . well you would have to just know mesquite smoked meats! šŸ˜

Agree with others, the color and bark are spot on for mesquite. Mesquite is somewhat dense and it is quite dimensionally stable, meaning it does not shrink or expand very much with humidity changes like most woods.

You could try smoking a brisket with it . . . well you would have to just know mesquite smoked meats! šŸ˜

Agree with others, the color and bark are spot on for mesquite. Mesquite is somewhat dense and it is quite dimensionally stable, meaning it does not shrink or expand very much with humidity changes like most woods.
That's kind what I got from. Seems a restaurant went out of business and left the stash of Mesquite behind. They had some beautiful long slabs probably 12" wide that I would have loved to have gotten home. No truck and I'm pretty sure the airports would have had some problems with the size.

Also, the dust can be very annoying. My boss was allergic to it. So do protect your lungs when working with it.
After my most recent sinus infection after turning Koa I've learned my lesson. I now wear not only my air pro but also a paper mask over my mouth and nose. I also use my overhead air filter system and I'm getting ready to get my dust collection system in place really soon. I posted a bit back a photo of the note my Doc gave me. It was on a script pad and his orders were to wear my respirator when in the shop. So I do now.

Bark, colors, and grain look like the mesquite I have a shop full of. Thin ring of light sapwood is characteristic as well. It is beautiful wood and you'll love working with it. Get ready to spend time sharpening though.
I turned a bottle stopper out of stabilized drift wood I picked up in Hawaii. Holy Cow!!! Talk about having to constantly sharpen the tools. I never thought about the sand in-bedded in the wood. Tore the HSS finishes right off and I had to constantly sharpen the tools. I don't think I'll do that again.

It is definetly my finish for woodworking the house and furniture things
Mine too. I tried CA on a pen once and learned really quick me and CA don't get along. It felt like someone had soaked a Q-tip in Tabasco hot sauce then shoved it up my nose. Love the stuff on food but not in my nose. Plus after I used it I got one serious bloody nose. So WOP has always given me a good finish and I use it exclusively.

sbwertz

Mine too. I tried CA on a pen once and learned really quick me and CA don't get along. It felt like someone had soaked a Q-tip in Tabasco hot sauce then shoved it up my nose. Love the stuff on food but not in my nose. Plus after I used it I got one serious bloody nose. So WOP has always given me a good finish and I use it exclusively.
Check out Bob Smith's odorless CA. I use it at the blind center.

Top Bottom