Wood ID help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I need help identifying the wood used to make a set of table legs. I've been told by the owner that they might be Mahogany but the wood seems a bit dark to me for that from what I've seen on samples around the web.
The picture here shows one portion the natural color and the smaller dark portion has been wetted to bring out the grain. I've tried to color match the picture as closely as possible to the color in natural light. So what you see is really close to what it is.
Having dug a little deeper around the web I have seen something called "Santos Mahogany" that looks very similar.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

ID the wood is usually fun--people post photos which don't show the detail, natural color or endgrain and we get to speculate.
You ruined it :biggrin:
This is one of the best photo requests for ID purposes I've seen:

It certainly looks like Mahogany; it appears to have the color and depth of real mahogany.
Real mahogany machines and carves well and has a slightly sweet aroma when cut.
A light, plain-sawn sapele would probably match as well.
Santos may work as well.
Are you repairing something and trying to match it?

Mortalis

I was given the legs by a friend of mine that wondered if I could make something (like a table) with them.
I was thinking of making an oval top from whatever material these are made with and since my friend and his wife are both avid sailors I would inlay a compass rose in the center of the top.

I've attached pictures of the legs for your reference.
They are very tall and very narrow. Sofa table style.

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

plano_harry

If I owed someone mahogany and they wouldn't take that, I wouldn't pay them :biggrin:

Since it is in the form of table legs, almost guaranteed to be mahogany.

GaryMGg

If you look here:
Hobbit House
you'll see numerous pics of real or Honduran mahogany as well as all the other flavors.
Just scroll down to the alphabet, click M, find Mahogany, Honduran and go from there.

Please post pics of the finished table; I'm expecting it'll be superb. :biggrin:

Top Bottom