Wood ID and Does it matter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I acquired a couple slabs of wood from Central America. One was billed as Bocote and the other Cabbage Bark. I cut and turned a blank from each piece and they appear to be the same species to me. The Bocote I have seen does not look like these and I have not used Cabbage Bark before. My inclination is that they are both Cabbage Bark. I would appre3ciate your opinions on The ID of these blanks.

Secondly, does it really matter? People I give pens to will ask what the wood is, but I don't think it really matters. Very few people are familiar with any of the wood I use. They are happy with "it is from South America". How important is it to you that you have a definitive ID on the woods you use?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-12-10 17.03.52.jpg
    2015-12-10 17.03.52.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

I haven't heard of Cabbage Bark before, but I have worked with quite a bit of bocote. That blank you have marked bocote doesn't look like any that I've seen before. I think you are correct in your inclination.

Ed McDonnell

Wood ID matters to me, but not always to the people who get my pens. I find that the importance of details about the wood is inversely correlated to the price I am charging.

"Pretty" seems to be more than adequate for describing wooden pens I give away. I've never had anyone turn down a free pen because I didn't know what the wood was.

For insanely expensive wooden pens, I have delivered up to 20 pages of handwritten information about the history of the tree / pen / myself and anybody else involved in the creation. It seems to be appreciated and sometimes expected.

Ed

Top Bottom