Wood from Egypt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Padauk's range is Western Africa mostly but I've read it was used extensively in ancient Egypt. Acacia, sycamore and tamarisk (not familiar with that one) are listed as native. Not your American sycamore, I bet.

Edit - I did a little more research and found tamarisk is a cedar (they call it "salt cedar").

Last edited:

magpens

How about palm (a difficult wood to turn, sometimes, according to reports I have read),

or Thuya burl (from Morocco, I think).

If you want to check out Thuya, look for threads started by member RolandRanch and send him a PM.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f165/thuya-burl-pen-blanks-149300/

Thuya is a very enjoyable turning experience and the aroma is exquisite .... if you can get away without putting a finishing coat on the Thuya, the aroma lasts and lasts and always draws your attention and pleasure.

I understand that Ebony was used in ancient Egypt for furniture, etc. . I hesitate to suggest it because it is black, and black woods are not pleasant to work with because of the black turnings and sanding dust getting everywhere.

Last edited:

Marmotjr

I just picked up some Thuya Burl blanks from Bell Forest for Xmas gifts. They are a gorgeous wood, and you aren't kidding about that aroma!

Thanks for that link!

Top Bottom