Wood Duotone Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

Hi all.

This is a bit of a concept pen that I made to see how easy/hard it was and whether I could offer it as a viable option. I've put it on Instagram to see what people think.

It took a bit of time cutting all the silver rings and wooden hoops, especially for the cap where the liner is stepped and the inside diameters of a couple of the hoops had to be stepped too.

It has Italian acrylic finials and section which I buffed to give a bit of a contrast to the wood.

I finished it in melamine and hard wax.

Anyway I'm pleased with how it came out. What do you think? All comments welcome.

Cheers
Ash

AE5FD432-A1D0-4293-80B2-DCBF4EE8C184.jpegA0024359-D71D-4A4C-8AAC-9EA6982E25A8.jpeg76E707AE-BB7D-4DA4-831E-697B11DE6EC7.jpeg0B549CB9-A75E-46F4-86B5-D30F542D1F53.jpegE3A4E7F4-FA8C-4A97-BDBE-97956354041D.jpeg55F0203B-775A-46FE-A7F2-05E43F512EFA.jpeg3EEC0073-08AA-4174-AE38-696D327480DE.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

Graf Faber just might come a calling. :)

How thick was the silver?

howsitwork

I think the contrast works well both open and closed.

I find myself thinking it needs a pocket clip or some presentation stand to finish it off ? Not a criticism merely an observation but I would love to hold it and surely that's the mark of a "good pen "?

Valleyboy

I think the contrast works well both open and closed.

I find myself thinking it needs a pocket clip or some presentation stand to finish it off ? Not a criticism merely an observation but I would love to hold it and surely that's the mark of a "good pen "?
Thank you, and I actually prep'd this for a clip but changed my mind at the last minute. I could still add one so maybe I'll live with it for a couple of days and see. I'm still 50:50 on it but once I add it I can't take it away.

sorcerertd

I like it but don't know if I love it…
I'm with you on this thought. It's amazing work, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that type of segmenting. The wood colors and silver rings match up beautifully. I would imagine it to be quite a challenge to do a lot of intricate segmenting in mixed materials when you have to do stepped drilling on delicately glued up work.

One thing for sure is that everyone has different tastes, and there are probably a lot of people who will absolutely love that look.

Fine Engineer

I tend to like the more simple and elegant styling, but I like this one even if it borders on gaudy. The subdued wood tones save it aesthetically though. I also like the polished section to offer some textural contrast as well. As usual though, excellent craftsmanship and presentation.

hallelujahal

Ash you've knocked it out of the park again! 👍
Maybe a clip??? But superb, it's my kind of pen and the kind of thing I aspire to make one day!
Alex

PreacherJon

That looks great. I wonder if you can take those same elements and do a segment like this with them?

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg
    47 KB · Views: 47
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom