Wood Clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from martyb

martyb

I'm putting my new CNC to good use.
Had to recreate a clock plan I like in Autocad for CNC cutting, made some changes to it in the process, but its coming along nicely.

I'm calling it Clock-Zero, since its the first clock I've drawn from scratch, but its not my own design. And its already sold! A coworker is a clock nut and commissioned the first one for her husband for their anniversary.

Main contstruction is baltic birch plywood. The frames, pinions and various other parts are 1/2", the large wheels are 1/4". The colored wood you see is Padauk. Since the photo was taken, I've replaced the top and bottom plates of the frame with Padauk as well. There will also be a 12" diameter dial ring of Padauk on the front when finished.

I figure with the CNC cutting, I've saved myself about 80 hours so far. It was cutting perfect wheels in under 10 minutes, no way I could do that on a scrollsaw. And minimal sanding required.

Now to decide what price I'll put on them on my website....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

martyb

I built the 25"x37" dual lead-screw table from David Steele's plans.
You can find them at http://solsylva.com/

Its a good set of plans. If you're good at picking up the "why" things are done certain ways in plans, then they can be an excellent set of guidelines and ideas for building your own.

R2

That is lookin' good. Faather of school principal made a wooden clock years ago ( no CNC ) using his own plans and even made his own router bits. they are always pieces of great interest to anyone who sees them.:):)[^]

Top Bottom