Wood Centerband Bandsaw Aid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But I want to share in case it's interesting.​
32: Wood Centerband Bandsaw Aid
last post- 31: Pen Section Holder
(3d *.obj file attached)
pen32.5.jpg
I built this little guide to help trim brittle pieces of wood prior to turning them into centerbands.​

Background
I like using scraps of wood as centerband material, but recently (and accidentally) drilled through the face grain instead of through the end grain of some zebra wood.

pen32.6.jpg

You all probably know this already but I was shocked at how awesome the wood pattern looks when turned on this axis.
As soon as I tried to replicate the mistake the centerbands began exploding one after another on the mandrel.
Well.... shoot!

Again, you all probably would have expected this, since it's a common thing to happen when cutting across the end grain.

Solution
To reduce the amount of material I need to remove on the lathe I wanted to cut the pieces into octagons before turning. But I'm fond of my fingers so designed and 3d printed this guide. It works really well.

1. I cut a 1/4" thick piece of wenge or zebra and drill a 1/4" hole through the Face Grain.
2. Snap onto the guide and run it straight across the bandsaw.
pen32.3.jpg

3. Turn the wood so the previous cut lines up roughly with the 45 degree guide. Cut across again.
pen32.2.jpg

4. Do this 8 times and you have a rough octagon... ready to turn on a mandrel.
pen32.1.jpg

Summary
Along with a sharp tool, getting the wood cut down to size has helped my success rate improve. The centerbands still explode... it seems just as I'm finished turning... but not every time.
pen32.7.jpg

3D Model
An obj file is attached. I typically need to scale up 10x and rotate before printing.
The print size should be: x=57.898mm; y=10.122mm; z=25.4mm
File provided as-is. Use at your own discretion and only if you feel it makes you safer.

Attachments

• pen32.4.jpg
    pen32.4.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 119
  • centerbandBandsawHolder.obj
    30.6 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Loving these jigs! Thank you for all of the efforts here. I don't have a printer yet, but I now have a darn good reason to get one.

gimpy

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But I want to share in case it's interesting.​

32: Wood Centerband Bandsaw Aid
last post- 31: Pen Section Holder
(3d *.obj file attached)
View attachment 327369

I built this little guide to help trim brittle pieces of wood prior to turning them into centerbands.​

Background
I like using scraps of wood as centerband material, but recently (and accidentally) drilled through the face grain instead of through the end grain of some zebra wood.

View attachment 327370
You all probably know this already but I was shocked at how awesome the wood pattern looks when turned on this axis.
As soon as I tried to replicate the mistake the centerbands began exploding one after another on the mandrel.
Well.... shoot!

Again, you all probably would have expected this, since it's a common thing to happen when cutting across the end grain.

Solution
To reduce the amount of material I need to remove on the lathe I wanted to cut the pieces into octagons before turning. But I'm fond of my fingers so designed and 3d printed this guide. It works really well.

1. I cut a 1/4" thick piece of wenge or zebra and drill a 1/4" hole through the Face Grain.
2. Snap onto the guide and run it straight across the bandsaw.
View attachment 327371
3. Turn the wood so the previous cut lines up roughly with the 45 degree guide. Cut across again.
View attachment 327372
4. Do this 8 times and you have a rough octagon... ready to turn on a mandrel.
View attachment 327373

Summary
Along with a sharp tool, getting the wood cut down to size has helped my success rate improve. The centerbands still explode... it seems just as I'm finished turning... but not every time.
View attachment 327375

3D Model
An obj file is attached. I typically need to scale up 10x and rotate before printing.
The print size should be: x=57.898mm; y=10.122mm; z=25.4mm
File provided as-is. Use at your own discretion and only if you feel it makes you safer.
Are you selling them ??

Wmcullen

Are you selling them ??
Like my other designs I'm just trying to share the files. But I understand only some have access to 3d printers. If there's ever a design you think could make a big difference to how you work just let me know and I can try to print an extra one for you. We can figure out a trade or something fairly informal. Maybe even just a donation to a good cause.

David350

Collen, nice jig... Have you thought about printing a zero clearance insert for your bandsaw? It might be helpful having more support when cutting parts as small as those bands.

gimpy

Like my other designs I'm just trying to share the files. But I understand only some have access to 3d printers. If there's ever a design you think could make a big difference to how you work just let me know and I can try to print an extra one for you. We can figure out a trade or something fairly informal. Maybe even just a donation to a good cause.
Interest, what ya thinking

Top Bottom