Wood Barber Pole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

Awhile back I was asked if I could make a wood barber pole. It is not something I would normally take on but it seemed like an interesting challenge. Here is the result! The barber pole is 42" long and the main section of the pole is 5" in diameter. It's made from solid white oak.
I made the pole in three sections, the 5" diameter center sections and the two ends. To mount the pole I drilled through the ends and epoxied a 1/2" galvanized carriage bolt in place. Stainless steel dome nuts were used to finish it off!
The painting of the pole was done by the client and his goal was to give it an aged look. I think he did a great job! We are both very pleased with the results!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now that is cheating.:) If i recall the topic you were looking to make it with different colored woods or something. Maybe it wasn't your topic and was someone else. I am getting old and the memory is not what it used to be. That is my excuse and i am sticking with it.:)

MarkD

Now that is cheating.:) If i recall the topic you were looking to make it with different colored woods or something. Maybe it wasn't your topic and was someone else. I am getting old and the memory is not what it used to be. That is my excuse and i am sticking with it.:)
You must be thinking of someone else my friend! :). The client's plan was always to use a weathered paint process for this pole. When he saw the wood pole in it's bare wood state he had a hard time bringing himself to painting it, thus the natural finish on the ends.
Your excuse is totally acceptable...I use that excuse myself...ALOT! :biggrin:

PapaTim

I was born and raised in New England where we would have described that barber pole as "wicked awesome"! Here in Tennessee we'd just say "y'all did good". Either way, great looking project.

jttheclockman

You must be thinking of someone else my friend! :). The client's plan was always to use a weathered paint process for this pole. When he saw the wood pole in it's bare wood state he had a hard time bringing himself to painting it, thus the natural finish on the ends.
Your excuse is totally acceptable...I use that excuse myself...ALOT! :biggrin:

Yes the more I think about it someone was asking how to make a barber pole pen where the stripes wrap all the way up the pen as opposed to doing a segmented pen. As the youngsters say "MY BAD" :) I think they still say that.:)

Top Bottom