Wood again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

This is the first wooden pen I've made in a while, and it was SO easy to do with the metal lathe. Very proud of this one. :biggrin:

Desert ironwood with black acrylic inserts, quad lead threads, and a 1.5mm Jowo stub (a very nice nib).

017.jpg

024.jpg

022.jpg

019.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

DIW is a really great wood to do this...very hard!

Wondering what kind of 'swiggles' came off the blank while turning using a metal lathe?
Did you use a CA finish or anything?

Scott (we can convert him to wood) B

stonepecker

Love the look. I am going to have to find a nice blank and make myself one like it. Really like that "all wood" look.........it is so clean.

You are right to be proud.

watch_art

Scott - dust. Just lots and lots of dusk and tiny flecks. Using an indexable carbide tip cutting thing.

You can see here...

woodstart.jpg

And yes - I'm looking forward to my next wooden pen. :)

Finish - just a dry sanding from 600 up to 1500. This stuff machined SO nicely.
No CA - I hate messing with that stuff.

stonepecker - thanks!

Adillo303

Just curious. What feature or features of a metal lathe over a wood lathe made it easier?

having just bought a jet 1642 I am self educating.

watch_art

Being able to use a boring bar to get an accurate and properly round hole for the plastic inserts makes ALL the difference. And being able to make perfectly straight cylindrical, with 90 degree shoulders for the inserts makes the rest of the difference. :) It's just SO much easier. But - if you're good with hand tools (I really wasn't) then it may be just as easy on a wood lathe. I hated turning and drilling wood (especially drilling b/c of the wobble) on the woodlathe. I had a Delta 46-480 and it was great (and quiet) but nothing could get a drillbit nice and straight for the length of a cap or barrel.

Adillo303

Thank you for the explination.

When I got the 1642, I kept my turncrafter 12. I use it for all my drilling and polishing. With the aid of the PSI pen blank chuck, I do ok.

I would like to see it done on a metal lathe some day.

Top Bottom