Won't turn on????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Well I finally tried using my (new to me) HF metal lathe. It was my first time using one and it worked great. I made myself a mandrel no problem. However, later that same night I did something to blow the fuse. It wasn't trying to hog too much material though, I know that. I turned it off to unchuck the piece I was working on and went to turn it back on and nothing, nadda!

So I got a new fuse and no go. Checked the outlets, plug, everything I could think of. So now I come to you guys. Any thoughts as to what I might have done and how I can get it started back up? Maybe the power switch? Thanks in advance for any help....off to try and google something.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Check the toggle switch next to speed control. Easy to flip into neutral position. Also check emergency stop button to be sure it is not pressed down.

PTownSubbie

Jonathon,

Call me tonight. I had the same problem with mine. I think it is the switch. Atleast mine was.....We might be able to figure it out on the phone.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jonothan, is it variable speed? Mine has a fuse in the plug, another one on a removable button on the back and the one that always seems to blow...one on the inside on the VS card.
If it's not VS then switch it on and spin the chuck, if it then runs it means you've popped the start capacitor ( if it has one )

Good luck

wiset1

I'm getting ready to buy a metal lathe as well...no idea what to look for but I know it's not going to be like my wood one. Hearing this just freaks me out. How did you choose yours Jonathon?

Turned Around

did you try closing your eyes and making a wish?
my lathe runs on hopes and dreams. guess that's why it hasn't been turned on in a month.

Brooks803

Jonathon,

Call me tonight. I had the same problem with mine. I think it is the switch. Atleast mine was.....We might be able to figure it out on the phone.

If I don't get it running I'll definitely be calling ya Fred! Probably will anyways, lol

I'm getting ready to buy a metal lathe as well...no idea what to look for but I know it's not going to be like my wood one. Hearing this just freaks me out. How did you choose yours Jonathon?

Craigslist! The offer was too good to pass up even for HF stuff. I got the metal lathe AND a mill for less than the lathe brand new. Plus the lathe came with pretty much all the tooling I'd need for a while. Quick release, collets, drill chuck and some bits, several cutters....Had to go for it.

Jonothan, is it variable speed? Mine has a fuse in the plug, another one on a removable button on the back and the one that always seems to blow...one on the inside on the VS card.
If it's not VS then switch it on and spin the chuck, if it then runs it means you've popped the start capacitor ( if it has one )

Good luck

It is variable speen Steven. I could only find 1 fuse and that's right above the power switch. I'll snap a few pics here in a min to show everything...plus I'll look around for other possible fuses.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, lets hope it's something simple....like you left the chuck guard in the up position. I know someone who nearly stripped an entire machine to figure that one out!!:tongue:

Brooks803

Here's a few pics. Skip, I opened and checked every panel I could for other fuses....none. Oh, and no chuck guard. I haven't done anything to it other than turn it on, this is how I bought it.

Sorry the pics are a tad big and not very good. My camera is still on the fritz so I had to use my cell.

Image of the entire headstock area:
2012-01-10_12-27-21_631.jpg

Controls. The fuse is right above the power switch.
2012-01-10_12-27-01_281.jpg

The blown fuse:
2012-01-10_12-28-34_822.jpg

Inside the control panel:
2012-01-10_12-35-19_371.jpg

Up close on the switch:
2012-01-10_12-35-03_194.jpg

Hope that will generate some idea as to what's going on. Thanks for the help thus far everyone!

glycerine

This may sound silly... but is there a funny smell, like a bandaid? Blown pc components always smell like bandaids to me. Possibly something else is blown besides that fuse...?

reiddog1

This may be even more silly, but once I had a problem like this on a miter saw and come to find out it was plugged into an outlet that was run in a series with a gfci outlet across the garage. Pushed the reset button on the GFCI on the other side of the garage, and shazzam back in business. Hope your problem is found to be a simple one.

Dave

Tom D

Jonathon,

If you have a volt meter see if you are getting power to the switch, if you are turn the switch on and see if you are getting power out of the switch, if not then it is the switch. If you have power then check the variable speed rheostat the same way.

EarlD

Jonathon, I might be wrong, but in the photo of the switch the reverse/forward toggle sure looks like it's in the OFF position.
Earl

PenMan1

Jonathon:
Two places to inspect closely are the fuse holder and the power switch.

The design of these fuse holders frequently cause the fuse to arch against the lathe body. First make sure that the fuse holder makes good contact on both sides and isn't "smoke" colored. If it is, clean it. Also make sure that the wire is still soldered to the fuse holder on both sides.

Next, take a volt meter and check for voltage in both sided of the switch. If there is voltage on one side of the switch and not the other and flipping the switch does not change this, the problem is the switch. If there is no voltage at the switch, the problem is in line before the switch(probabally at that cheap fuse holder).

If working with live voltage bothers you, the ohm meter can be used to check continuity without voltage applied.

PTownSubbie

I had the same exact problem. It sometimes would turn on and others not....I would sit there and turn the switch on and off until it actually came on. I ordered a new heavy duty switch from LMS and it works great now!

I tried a cheap switch from RadioShack but it almost fried the whole system! Sparks and all! But luckily no long term damage.

The contacts are probably dirty as heck from sitting so long.....cycle the switch.....

Brooks803

YAY it works now! Fred, thanks so much for the call! You had it spot on. The switch contacts were cruddy and it wasn't getting power. After cycling it a couple dozen times it started back up! I'll order a replacement switch bc it will go out eventually. Thanks everyone for the help! Back to work it is!

Top Bottom