Wondering about a Shaffer Snorkel Pen & Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I was asked to share this photo and see if anyone might have any idea of what the value of this set would be. The set is from the 1950s. There is a white dit on the nib which is apparently significant. We are not looking for a definitive estimate, just a ball-park range of what it might be worth.

Thanks!

IMG_1681.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Aside from overall condition, other things that can impact the price are: engravings (it looks like maybe somebody's initials are engraved on the barrel) and "inner cleanliness" (is there dried up ink inside the ink chamber?)

It's a lovely pen, BTW. I have a Sheaffer (not this model) and it feels perfectly balanced in the hand and writes incredibly smoothly.

Lucky2

Mike, now that I've read Dunc's reply, I've taken a second look at the set. And unless it's someone famous that previously owned the set, the set would be worth less, then if there was no markings.

Len

darrin1200

I was asked to share this photo and see if anyone might have any idea of what the value of this set would be. The set is from the 1950s. There is a white dit on the nib which is apparently significant. We are not looking for a definitive estimate, just a ball-park range of what it might be worth.

Thanks!

View attachment 234849
This is from a collector friend of mine at the OFPS, that I reached out to:

What he has is a Sheaffer Snorkel Crest in Buckskin, one of the lesser common colors though not rare like the Mandarins. Fully restore and polished with a crisp imprint and no dings in the cap you would be looking at ~$200 for full retail.

As points of reference this one (https://tinyurl.com/td4co39) in the dark green, another less than common color, sold for $130 unrestored. This one (https://tinyurl.com/u7rdlws) is sitting at $120 buy it now but that is a bit unreasonable as the nib on that one is knackered.

Peyton regularly seems to list the solo pen at $185 USD but I find his prices on the high side.

The problem with this one is the pictures do not give any indication of the condition of the cap. Additionally the dirt/staining near the blindcap makes me nervous as snorkels can often be cracked around there.

End Quote

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom