Wobbly lathe??? Fix it with a REAMER!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I had that problem until today. I tried all fixes I can find from reading here and Russ' page. While some helped a bit, they all failed to really fix my problem.

Closer investigation revealed that my problem is inside my MT2 driver. Somehow, it got gouged inside the driver over the years. What's bad is the gouged metal formed a mole/hill that causes my MT2 mandrel to NOT seat properly and caused it to wobble. And it gets worse as time goes by.

I finally broke down and bought a MT2 reamer like this http://cgi.ebay.com/2-MORSE-TAPER-R...9750270QQcategoryZ633QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

And I am amazed how fast it solved my problem (2-3 mins). Wish did so much sooner. I highly recommend this product.

Here is a link to my inquiry on how to use it :D
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12099

I think I will be turning more again soon!!! If and when I find time [V]:([xx(]

Disclaimer: Reamer is not a fix all...it will work for some cases (as I described) and may not on others. I am just sharing this info and not endorsing the seller of the product, thought it is through them that I bought mine. Also check your taper size before ordering ;)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dario,

If the problem was the MT not seating, did your insert slip out easily? Or did it "stick" in the headstock as it is supposed to, requiring a knock-out tool?

Just trying to figure out if this may be true on my lathe?

Thanks

Dario

Ed,

It still stick in as it should so I do use a knockout tool still.

Here is how I found out about mine...

1. remove the mandrel
2. get a thin wooden stick...NOT metal (I used a bamboo barbeque skewer)
3. turn on the lathe at the slowest speed
4. stick the skewer IN the MT2 driver and use it to feel the inner wall. If there is a bump (even a tiny one) you will feel it. I only let the tip of the skewer get in contact with the inner wall. Start from the rear most and SLOWLY move forward...like cutting with a bowl gouge [:D]

<b>WARNING!!! NEVER USE YOUR FINGERS TO FEEL THE INSIDE OF THE TAPER, EVEN WHEN IT IS OFF BUT ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS ON!!! IF YOU MUST, ATLEAST UNPLUG THE LATHE BEFORE DOING SO</b>

That worked great for me. BTW my problem was about 3" deep in the taper hole.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom