Wishing for an in-person MPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I know it's not possible. Just wishing for a chance to meet up with old (and new) friends in person.

It is that time of year when this (not) young man's heart feels like he should get in the car and drive to Champaign, or Bloomington, or Wadsworth for a long weekend of catching up, talking and learning new things.

I should have gone to the northern IL MPGs... I miss you guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The upcoming virtual MPG is going to be spectacular, but I agree that there's no substitute for in-person socialization. One of the things I've missed over the last year is shaking hands! MPG has evolved into a really great event, but those union hall meetings years ago will never be forgotten.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is no substitute for the in-person camaraderie-we are, mostly social beings!

However, from a point of view of content, I have never prepared as thoroughly as I am preparing for this event. The necessity to pre-record our presentations leads to an edited and more professional delivery of content. AND for 30 days, the attendees can view the presentations and review the information--a feature we cannot offer with in-person meetings.

So, as I prepare my small part of the MPG, I can visualize future events incorporating some of the benefits of the pre-recorded, along with the "warm fuzzies" of the interpersonal---the event as a whole will become an even better experience!! The 2022 hotel is booked and waiting!!!
Mark and John are feverishly preparing, and I am watching enthusiastically and encouraging everyone to attend the 2021 "Masters degree in penmaking"!!

Click on "buy tickets" here: https://www.accelevents.com/e/PenmakersInternationalMPG to register

As Mark says, "This is gonna be fun!!"

Is there a chance that these might be recorded to a DVD or two. Where I live it takes about 2 hours to watch a 1/2 hour presentation and DVD's would allow people like me who live out in the boonies to see the MPG as if we were actually there. Just a thought.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for the suggestion!! Mark, John and I are meeting soon, this will be discussed.

We have talked about it in generalities, but it might be a source of revenue to compensate the demonstrators, who, at present do these presentations for free.

To be clear, Mark, John and I will not be compensated, we volunteered!

mg_dreyer

I have watched the videos for about 60% of the sessions - and sincerely they are great. I plan to start a bigger promotion on April 1, but here are just some of the sessions:

Ed Brown - Stabilization / Sales and Marketing
John Underhill - 3 videos - almost 4 hours on casting
Tina Wissen - 1 hour and very in-depth look at polymer clay
Dick Sing - Captive rings - you will learn tool control here
Fred Wissen - Casting and his molds
Our very own - Mark James on segmenting

And tons more (I might even be doing a video or 3 - Beginner To Pro / Wood Pen Finishing / Carbide Tools)

We will also have a 90 minute session from the AAW with all the professional turners to expand beyond pens

I don't think anyone misses the in person than John, Ed and myself - but we did not want 2 years to go by.

mg_dreyer

Wait to you see the facility we have secured for 2022. Unlimited vendors. Three large rooms for demos. More space than we know what to do with - but trust me we will figure it out. Most likely we will start April 26 on planning that one.

Thanks for the suggestion!! Mark, John and I are meeting soon, this will be discussed.

We have talked about it in generalities, but it might be a source of revenue to compensate the demonstrators, who, at present do these presentations for free.

To be clear, Mark, John and I will not be compensated, we volunteered!

That would be great if the DVD's we done. Thanks to you, Mark and John for volunteering to do this. I'm planning to be at next years event as I'd planned on last years and this years. I hope to hear more in the future on this years virtual event and DVD's.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Chris, I couldn't agree more. Learning more is nice, seeing those in person I have chatted with and admired their work is wonderful.

I really look forward to in-person gatherings and chapter meeting. And the IAP Collections needs to be displayed again.

Darrin

Now that I live in Ohio I will make the next in person event.
I love chatting it up with other pen makers.
Of course I'll be at this virtual event as well lol

JohnU

I agree, it's always nice to get together and just hang out. The plus side of virtual demos... we all get to go to the demonstrators shop and see everything going on. There are no limitations based on what they can bring to the event. Makes for great demos, just no walk around f socialization or late night lobby visits. Im looking forward to seeing you all in person next year!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wait to you see the facility we have secured for 2022. Unlimited vendors. Three large rooms for demos. More space than we know what to do with - but trust me we will figure it out. Most likely we will start April 26 on planning that one.

Of course Mark has already signed the contract, but that doesn''t count toward "Planning"!! I love working with these guys!!!

Top Bottom