Winter arrives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Yup - we got a good two feet of snow overnight!.

Fortunately, I planned ahead and yesterday I made sure that the snow blower was ready to go this morning. I started well before dawn because our son was supposed to go to work. The snow blower has a light, and we have some lights on the driveway, but it was still nearly impossible to see what I was doing because my glasses were fogging so badly. It turns out that because the town plow hadn't come by, the street was impassable so he wasn't able to leave even through we got the driveway clear.

The town plow didn't come through until around 8:45. Normally, they do a great job of keeping the streets clear, starting around 5am, but apparently something went wrong today (stuff happens). We live on a cul-de-sac with a tight radius. Postal Service regulations don't allow their employees to get out of the jitney to climb snow banks (which is probably a good rule to have), so I make a point of cleaning the corner that the USPS truck has to get into in order to put mail in our box. Because the plow that came through was the big model that can't handle tight corners, I had to clean up a lot of the street to clear a path for the USPS truck. Hopefully, the the town will send the smaller plow around later this morning to finish clearing the street.

People ask me why we don't go south for the winter. I remind them that I grew up in Florida where it is too hot, there are too many insects and hurricanes, and far too many OLD people with all their medical complaints and crazy ways. I would rather stay here and deal with the snow.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

When it comes to snow, this says it all!!!!!!! 😂🤣
Scrooge.jpg

FGarbrecht

Almost 3 feet in our road in Schenectady. I was supposed to be at the hospital today, no way to get out. Not sure at this point I'll be able to get there tomorrow either -- no sign of a plow from the city, and the neighbor with a huge truck and a plow blade who could clear our long driveway can't get through the street to get to us either.

Kenny Durrant

I want to respond to your issue but not sure how to word it. I get the hassles of the south and the north and I always wanted to have a place in each and follow the geese. That way I'd know when the extreme weather is fixing to hit. Yes I know fixing is a southern term but I figured it would help some on here to know what side of the fence I'm on. Ha Ha Ha. The part that opened my eyes was the "Old Crazy People with their Medical Issues". I'm guessing your still quite young. The older I get the more family and friends say I'm getting cranky and it seems like each month I wake up with something hurting that I didn't even know I had. I try not to complain too much because I know no one really cares so why bother. I guess the main reason for me being cranky is as I age my tolerance for stupidity is Wearing out. I'm assuming the crazy and stupid we are using is interchangeable. I was born and raised here in Texas and I have way too much junk to consider moving so I'll stick with the heat and just be happy I don't have to worry about the snow. Just to make it clear I'm not taking offense to anything said just throwing out my opinion for maybe a chuckle or two. Enough for now so Everyone stay safe, healthy and Warm.

Gotta agree with Mr. @maxwell_smart007, we've had just over 4' of snow since mid October and I've only had a problem once when the plow wouldn't start. If you haven't used Heat gasoline treatment you ought'a try it. Got the plow up and running without any trouble (water in the Carb). We continue to get little spattering's of the white stuff but not much to complain about. It's the wind though, it's been blowing since early September and doesn't want to let up. Some gusts I've recorded at 65mpg on my weather station, makes the walls rattle a bit. Average has been in the mid 20mph's. I hate wind!!!

When it snows here I don't depend on anyone except my wife to help me out. I plow two miles of road, snow blow if needed and use the shovel a lot. My wife does the front porch, side deck and keeps me calm when the blower needs a new shear pin. And when the plow slides off the road, not very often, she sits behind the wheel while I use the winch to, obviously, winch us out. Life is good, I hate snow (and wind) and I have the best partner to keep me calm, cool and collected (plus she's one heck of a worker).

I've attached one showing me using the snow blower.

MVIMG_20190128_102623.jpg

Bryguy

We got dumped on too. We get plowed out, but I clear a poop space for the dog and clear the porch steps. Takes me 20 minutes. Then out in the woods on snow shoes! I love this.

moke

Living in Iowa, we did not get this big round of snow, but I have gotten to be altogether too good of friends with my snowblower in the past! The thing I don't understand is no mater which direction you blow, it always seems to come back into my face!!! Good luck Folks! I am sure we will get the next round and be right there with you....lol

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My snowblower is coin (dollar bill) operated...every time I use it, I have to fix something new... :)

I've never used Heet - but I do use Seafoam and stabilizer in my snowblower and boat engines, and only premium gas...it's the only thing without ethanol

Kenny Durrant

It's 61* now and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I figured I'd mulch the leaves one more time since most are off the trees. The mulching kit was the best thing I've ever purchased for my yard. Thought I'd throw that out there so everyone doesn't think we sit around and do nothing in the winter down here.

monophoto

It seems like every year the first winter storm brings stories of auto accidents caused by drivers who have forgotten how to drive on snow. Sadly, there can also be other stories.

Like the guy who's was killed when his snowmobile collided with a tractor trailer at the height of the storm at 2:30am. What could he have been thinking to drive a snow machine on an interstate highway?

My snowblower is coin (dollar bill) operated...every time I use it, I have to fix something new... :)

I've never used Heet - but I do use Seafoam and stabilizer in my snowblower and boat engines, and only premium gas...it's the only thing without ethanol

I use seafoam after the winter just to make sure all the lines are cleaned up, especially on the chainsaws (probably shouldn't but it sure cleans things out). Like you, I only use non-ethanol premium I buy from Costco. I go through about 80 gals a year for the blower and plow. I use it in all my gas engine equipment and never had a problem.

Last edited:
It seems like every year the first winter storm brings stories of auto accidents caused by drivers who have forgotten how to drive on snow. Sadly, there can also be other stories.

Like the guy who's was killed when his snowmobile collided with a tractor trailer at the height of the storm at 2:30am. What could he have been thinking to drive a snow machine on an interstate highway?

There's a term for people who just don't get it. Back in the day they were made to sit in the corner and wear a special "hat". There's still ton's of them around. It's like the dunces who walk around my gate, although it's clearly marked "Private Property" even taped with orange tape that indicates No Hunting. Then walk up my road and see the 4 signs posted on trees that are visible from the road that read "Private Property, No Trespassing" and "No Hunting, Trapping or Fishing on this Property". Then when I stop them and ask them what they're doing they say, with a stupid look on their faces, "I didn't see the signs". At this point I usually get I.D. from them, call the Game Warden or Sheriff, we're on a first name basis, and turn them in. If they hunt on my property, illegally, they go to jail and have a big fine and lose their hunting privileges in Montana and I keep what they killed. If they're trespassing then they are sited and if I press charges they spend the night in jail and could face a potential jail sentence. So, if you trespass on my property don't give me any garbage or I'll press charges and you'll spend the night in the pokey and get a pretty nice fine. Two years ago we had a poacher on the property who trapped a cow Moose and basically strangled her to death with his trap. The Game Warden didn't have enough info to go after anyone but it became quite the buzz around our small community. Haven't had a problem since. Like the old saying goes, "You can't stop stupid".

pshrynk

It's 61* now and it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I figured I'd mulch the leaves one more time since most are off the trees. The mulching kit was the best thing I've ever purchased for my yard. Thought I'd throw that out there so everyone doesn't think we sit around and do nothing in the winter down here.
I lived in San Antonio when it snowed 3" one day. 486 crashes just on Loop 410. Three days later, it snowed 12". Nearest snow removal equipment was in Lubbock. Texans have no idea how to drive in snow.

That said, one year I mowed my lawn on Christmas Eve.

Strange place, Texas.

jjjaworski

I feel for you and the snow issues. I lived in Buffalo until 2000 and then moved to Souther New Mexico. I remember all too well having to deal with those 3-4 foot snowfalls. Never owned a snowblower and only used a shovel.
I left my snow shovel and lawnmower when I moved out here.
Fortunately for me I don't have to shovel sunshine.

Kenny Durrant

Brian I hear that all the time, People in Texas don't know how to drive in the snow. Not trying to start an argument just telling it how I see it.
First off it's Texas. We are in the south so not supposed get ice and snow here.
Second since it doesn't happen that often we don't spend the money to take care of cleaning it when it does so everyone shuts down.
Third there's people from all over the country moving in so they might not be Texans driving.
Last but not least. At the time my son has never lived outside of Texas. He took a job in Colorado and his first winter taught him a lot. Keep sand bags in the back and keep your gas tank full. Another thing he said was they don't know how to drive on "It" up there either. He did say that they were ready so when it stopped snowing they had plows and other equipment out and the roads were clear.
Once again I'm not trying to start trouble so please keep this in fun. People are different so we live different lives. Talking about Christmas Day the high is 60' and the low is 40'.

Top Bottom