Winter 2015 Meeting - Jan 25, 2015 - Planning & Discussion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Discussion Points from the Fall Meeting

A couple of things I want to discuss from the meeting earlier today.

• A change in the start time of the meetings: We will start the 'New Pen Turner Tutorial' at 1:30 and the regular meeting at 2:00. This 30 minutes shift in the start times is to ease the 'rush' of getting from Sunday morning activities to the meeting. In my case I was almost late for the meeting and it was at my house. Others have mentioned that an extra 30 minutes between church and the meeting would be helpful.
  • The meeting schedule is tentatively set for:
    • January 25, 2015 [Sunday] (Loc: TBD)
    • April 26, 2015 [Sunday] (Loc: TBD)
    • July 25, 2015 [Saturday] (Loc: TBD)
    • October 25, [Sunday] 2015 (Loc: TBD)
    • January 24, [Sunday] 2016 (Loc: TBD)
  • We have someone checking these dates against other turning clubs in the area. Unless there's a conflict these are probably the dates (see next item).
  • We've been meeting on Sunday's for a couple of years knowing that some people just can't make it on Sunday. We are considering changing one (possibly 2) of the meetings to a Saturday. To help in that decision, please answer the following questions:
    • If you aren't attending the meetings because of the Sunday schedule, would you be able to attend on a Saturday? And how likely are you to do so.
    • If we changed to Saturday, would that prevent you from attending?
  • Please note that we need volunteers for locations.
  • Please note that we need to hear from you regarding what you would like to see as demos.
  • Please note that we need volunteers to do demos.

Last edited:

pinelumber

Fall meeting & winter meeting.

Jim thanks for another great meeting. If you weren't there you missed the carved birds and fish. They were great along with the chili!! The extra 1/2 hour is ok. Sometimes we need all of that just to not be late!! I do not have a problem with 1 or 2 Saturday meetings a year. It may help some of our hiding members too attend!! Good to see the new members I hope they will continue to come and learn and share with us.!! Guys you missed a good meeting hope you had fun doing what you did!! Our meeting would of been more fun if you showed up!!

Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I want to say thank you too ...

Pinelumber (Dennis) - I'll pass along your appreciation for the chili to my wife ... its her recipe and her effort.

And yes, thank you to those that attended.

Meeting Summary

The first-timers were Allan Jacob (IAP: designer) and Elaine Sherwin (IAP: <TBD>) along with her husband ... ahhh ... errr... Elaine's-Husband (henceforth Elaine's husband shall be known as Elaine's-Husband).

I'm glad you like the chili, but lets not forget to mention the Ohio-cookies, Michigan-cookies, and the brownies.

There were 8 people in attendance, which is a little lite, especially when three of the 8 were first-timers. I realize that life sometimes gets in the way and conflicts arise which prevent someone from attending. However, our attendance has been down for the last several meetings.

If you're interest has faded, please let me know why. If its the subject of pen turning, we spent more than half our time talking about 'other things we make'. Everyone does more than just pens. (BTW Leo, fantastic bird and fish carvings ... bring some more next time please).

If you aren't seeing enough new or educational stuff, well, tell us what you're interested in and we'll find someone to demo.

Yes, this is another plea for topics. If you would like to see or discuss a particular topic, let us know. Even if we've gone over the topic in the past, its OK. People need a refresher and some people will be seeing or hearing it for the first time.

Here are some topics I heard mentioned at the meeting (or in previous conversations). If you would like to help by sharing your knowledge, please let me know.

• Casting - making some blanks
  • Casting - around the tube
  • Stabilizing wood (and making a vacuum chamber)

In our discussion (this thread) please comment on these topics and add topics to the list. I know we've done this before (I'll let you find the old thread and get more ideas), but its good to start again to see what topics resurface and to refresh our memories.

Meeting Dates: Pinelumber (Dennis) will check the calendar of the other clubs. (Dennis, just place a post in this thread.) Anyone impacted by the Sunday/Saturday questions should respond soon. I'll close down the debate and publish a final schedule on November 8.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

pinelumber

MNeeting dates

The five meeting dates you have suggested for next year are just fine. The Bluewater club meets on the the second Sunday of the month so we are good. I don't know what my wife has in store but those dates are good, so far.

Dennis

Last edited:
I am sorry I missed the meeting, I was almost a late change in plans attendee, but my Wife got called in for overtime, my Wife's schedule at work is changing in Jan. so I will only be able to make Sat, meetings unless I get a babysitter, so I have no problem with Sat. meetings.

Mike

designer

I enjoyed my first meeting...even though I missed the Lions winning field goal in London. It was worth it. There were replays after all.

Saturday or Sunday meetings are good with me. The only kids I have to take care of are walking on 4 legs. The dates suggested are fine with me.

The times are good for me as well and will not be a problem. Hopefully it will help others out.

Leo's work is phenomenal. He has a lot of patience and artistic ability and it shows.

Router bowls......interesting. Might just have to give that a try this year.

I would like to see a pine cone demonstration on prep and casting. Maybe casting with labels as well if possible.

Everyone at the meeting is as nice and pleasant as the IAP members online. It was a pleasure to meet everyone. As I told you when I left, tell your wife she done did great on the chili.

One thing I cannot do is host a meeting. My place is way to small.

pesbes

Jim,

All the dates miss the DAW meetings. Saturdays will be OK with me, but April 25th would be bad for the DAW members as there will be a professional turner doing a demonstration for the club that day. I will send out a notice as soon as we have one. You are all welcome to attend. Hope the rest of my life does not get in the way so I can make another meeting soon.

Phil

LeeK

Hi Jim, first, thanks for all your efforts to keep the meetings going.
Saturdays would work slightly better for me, but Sundays are good for me too. Summer's aren't as easy due to just being busy.
At the moment I can not offer my shop for meetings because it's too full of some beautiful woods I collected in the past year. No other place to store it. Not enough room to safely have others in my shop.

I can offer to do future demos. I could show how I make my Christmas Ornaments as well as the celtic knot inlay in my pens. I know it's a bit late for Christmas, but I could show the ornament demo in January.

pinelumber

Saturday meetingsq

Jim do the meetings alternating Sat and Sun. Jan and July ?? Sat. Apl. and Oct. Sunday?? or vise-versa. What do you guys think???

Dennis

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Here's the tally so far ...

Saturday is good 'cause I can't make it on Sunday: 1 comment
Saturday is better, but both days are iffy: 1 comment
Saturday is OK (Sundays are too): 3 comments

Saturday is bad, can't make it: 0 comments

Note, we haven't yet heard from anyone who hasn't been attending because they can't make it on Sunday.

At this point the proposed meeting schedule is:
  • January 25, 2015 (Loc: TBD) - Sunday (because it is part of the 2014 schedule)
  • April 26, 2015 (Loc: TBD) - Sunday (to avoid conflict with a DAW special event)
  • July 25, 2015 (Loc: TBD) - Saturday (This is the proposed change)
  • October 25, 2015 (Loc: TBD) - Sunday
  • January 24, 2016 (Loc: TBD) - Saturday (This is the proposed change)
  • If things work out, I figure we'll do alternate Sat/Sun meetings going forward.

NOTE: We need to determine the locations (at the very least for the January meeting)

And remember ... start time has moved by 30 minutes (1:30 for newbies, 2:00 for the regular meeting)

How does this sound to everyone ...

This discussion is still open, so express your druthers.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

Jim do the meetings alternating Sat and Sun. Jan and July ?? Sat. Apl. and Oct. Sunday?? or vise-versa. What do you guys think???

Dennis

keithbyrd

I would like to make it - life is very hectic - Sunday's typically do not work for me - I will try to make it on Saturday! But that means I wont be able to get there till July.
Has there been any discussion about trying them on a week night? I can usually plan around those more than I can the weekends!

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Hmmm ... weeknights?

We long ago ruled weeknights out because squeezing in a meeting between work, dinner, and sleep was thought to be tough; not good for people that work early, etc.

So I wouldn't want to add weeknight into the mix for the formal schedule. On the other hand, if there a some people that can't make weekends, I'm game for the occasional ad hoc get together. If anyone is interested in this, please see the separate thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90...s-relaxed-conversation-sparc-meetings-127361/ and keep this thread for the regularly scheduled quarterly meetings.

Last edited:

CrimsonKeel

add on to this is I would love to see how a kitless pen is made. cutting threads and what not. basically taking out the mystery or being able to see what you actually need to make one.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Hi,

As the member who has yet to make it to a meeting, I don't have a right to comment but Saturday or Sunday or alternating between the two is not an issue.It's just been some other issues (Military funerals, etc.) that have kept me from attending thus far. The other issue, of course, is wheelchair accessibility which has not been a problem heretofore but might be if a host has a basement shop. I too would like to see a demo on kitless pen making.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Dates Set ... Need Locations

OK - The second post of this thread (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90...-2015-planning-discussion-127090/#post1713656) has been updated to reflect an updated schedule ... note that the Summer meeting (July) will be on a Saturday. There wasn't an overwhelming response, so I figure we'll try this as an experiement.

Note, however, that there are NO LOCAIONS identified yet. You are alway welcome at my place, but I know it is a long driver for the east-siders (who make up most of the group). If you are interested in hosting, please let me know ... especaily with respect to Janaury ... with the Holidays coming, time will fly by and the meeting will be here before we know it ... so I'd like to nail down at least the January meeting sooner than later.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

P.S. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and I wish you all a Happy Holiday Season in December.

scotirish

Well the operation is over and I am on the mend. :biggrin::biggrin: Not ready to run a marathon just yet. :eek::eek: Enough said, I have not been able to comment on the Saturday meetings. I am retired and as such am able to come to either Saturday or Sunday. The only request I have it that as a retiree I have six Saturdays and one Sunday, so you will have to specify which Saturday it is. :laugh::laugh:
Hope all is well with everyone.
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Happy Holidays ... 1 month until the meeting

Happy Holidays! I've actually had a Chance to work in my shop for a few days and was able to make a 1/2 dozen Christmas gifts. How about you?

With regards to the January meeting, we have 1 tentative location identified. Confirmation will come in early January, at which time I'll pass the information along to you. In the meantime, if you would like to volunteer your shop as the meeting location, that would be great (and we'll use the current tentative location later in the year). We don't have any locations identified for the other meetings this year, please consider it and let me know (via phone, email, PM, or IAP posting).

Also, we have one (again, tentative) demonstration volunteer for the January meeting for building bird houses. I'm always hopeful that we have two demonstrations per meeting, so feel free to volunteer if you have something you think people would be interested in (they don't actually have to be interested, you just need to think they might be). Read through some of the past posts to get an idea of what people would like to see and consider demonstrating. Off hand, I can think of: Casting, small bowl, hollowing, closed end pens ...

Don't forget to bring something for show-n-tell. The meeting is a month after Christmas, so perhaps we should have a "what-ya-get" segment. Also, at every meeting someone goes home with a nice piece of wood ... you're supposed to bring it back after you do something with it and show it off during show-n-tell ... do you owe the group anything? Don't forget "Pens for Troops".

It's just over a month until the meeting (Sunday, January 25th), please be sure to add to the discussion regarding demonstrations, volunteering locations, attendance, etc.

Talk/type to you soon .... and see you in 34 days.

pinelumber

winter meeting

Two weeks to go...... So where are we going?? I have no room to host a meeting unless you want to hold it outside!!

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Meeting Location - Still TBD

I'm back in town. I spent the last week in South Carolina visiting my brother, but I got back this evening. I'll be sending out another meeting reminder with a location confirmation after I speak to a couple of people.

Talk/type to you all soon ... and see you in 2 weeks.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Location of Meeting

The tentative location didn't work out ... so the meeting is at

6007 Justine St.
Beeleville, MI 48111

That's my place.

If an east-sider wants to volunteer there's still time, but only a little, so please do so quickly.

1:30 start for newbies
2:00 regular meeting start
(note the 30 minute shift in schedule)

Time to check in for a headcount and snack/drink stuff.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
ATTENTION --- ATTENTION --- Winter Meeting Cancelled

Enthusiasm seems to be a bit low, and that's understandable given the time of year. Traditionally we have had a tough time (attendance wise) for the January meetings.

The weather looks iffy and we have had only 2 people confirm their intent to attend (3 if you count me, but I won't have a commute).

So, I am cancelling the Winter-2015 (January) meeting. I am also proposing that we drop the winter meetings from the schedule and go with a 3-times per year schedule.

Please discuss further in http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90/spring-2015-meeting-april-26-2015-a-129326/

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom