Winter 2014 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Please use this thread to discuss the Winter 2014 Meeting. It is scheduled for January 26, 2014 at Fischer's house in Belleville.

The rest of the 2014 schedule is (proposed on open to adjustment until November 10).

January 26, 2014 (already set from previous schedule - Loc: Fischer's House)
April 27, 2014 (Loc: TBD - We need to check on Easter and its impact on other schedules)
July 27, 2014 (Loc: TBD)
October 26, 2014 (Loc: TBD)
January 25, 2015 (Loc: TBD)

As always, the best way you can help me out is to let me know what you are interested in sharing (demonstrating) or what you would like to see.

Last edited:

pesbes

Meeting Date

April's meeting date is in direct conflict with the DAW. The DAW moved thier meeting because the third Sunday, April 20th, is Easter Sunday. Don't know what we want to do, but I pomised the information.

Phil

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Spring Meeting Date ...

So, our options for the spring meeting would be ...
  1. Hang tough and compete with the DAW meeting (not a good idea)
  2. Slide the meeting earlier to April 13, but this might conflict with family time (some schools will be off the week preceding Easter)
  3. Slide the date to May 4th ... This would be my current suggestion.
Still looking for more information, feedback, and comments.

pinelumber

April meeting

April 14 conflicts with the Bluewater meeting!! We went through this 3 years ago if you can't make the specified day choose where you are going!

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Dennis brings up a good point. So let me expound a little.

Once the schedule is set for the year, it will not change.

I'm offering up this discussion because we are just now establishing the schedule for 2014. When we became more stringent about not changing meeting dates (which was a very positive step), we focused on not changing the date of an established meeting. The idea of always using the 4th Sunday was a guideline to establish the schedule. The 4th Sunday was selected because it conveniently avoided conflicts with the other groups. (And we should note that if Easter happened to land on April 27 (our normal meeting date) we would all agree to a different date ... wouldn't we?)

On the other hand, we're not bumping into Easter (directly), but DAWs schedule.

We had a short discussion on this topic at the meeting the other day, but as mentioned earlier, attendance was light. So ... what say you. I'd like to hear from more people.

Last edited:

pinelumber

April meeting

If you change the April 2014 meeting from tha last Sunday in the month then I we will not be availible for the other 3 weeks in April I am already booked. I had to move meeting around so that I could attend all of them. WE don't penailze anyone for missing the Pen meeting. I'm sure Dennis S is still making pens and Glenn McCollough is still making pens they come when they can.

Dennis
PineLumber:bananen_smilies104::bananen_smilies068:

scotirish

My feeling is that we should keep the schedule of the meetings for the pen chapter as scheduled by Jim. Those who can make the meeting can be there those who cannot make the meeting will not be there [kind of obvious]. When it comes to the Bluewater in the DAW Woodturning clubs the meetings are scheduled. And those who can attend, attend those who cannot attend do not attend. I feel we should treat the Michigan chapter of IAP with the same respect that we treat the Woodturning clubs of Bluewater and DAW. :):) I say this even though I will not be able to make the April 27 pen turning meeting because of my responsibilities at DAW. :frown::frown:
That's me two cents worth.
Ron

pesbes

Meeting Schedule

I agree with Jim that we need to set a schedule and then keep that schedule, but I think that is what we are trying to do. If the schedule is always going to be the 4th Sunday of January, April, July and October, then there needs to be no more discussion. If the objective is to increase the number of people attending the meetings, then we may need to be more flexible.

I know that I will be attending the DAW meeting over the IAP meeting, not because I don't like you guys, but because I am an officer in the DAW club and that needs to be my priority. I am sure guys in other clubs have similar conflicts and must make their own choices.

I really enjoyed the small group of people that met at my house last week, but I was a little disappointed at the small turn out and wish more people would have been able to attend. If moving the meeting a little would improve attendance, then that would be my vote over trying to keep a consistent schedule.

Phil

richardkruse

I am open to any dates at this time. I apologize for not making the October meeting. Had some issues to deal with. I will make every effort to make it to the next one.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Current Thinking ...

Th schedule stated above seems solid, except for the spring meeting. Because of Easter impacting the DAW meeting, which in turn would impact our meeting, my current thinking is to schedule our spring meeting for May 4th.

Note, however, that the discussion is still open ... I set a deadline of November 10th to close the discussion, so there's still time to express your opinion.

Talk/type to you all soon.

Jim

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Email Confirmation

I just sent an email to those that have provided me with their email addresses. That message confirmed our meeting schedule and asked everyone to come to this thread and start a discussion on topics (for demonstration) of interest.

[oops ... the email sent people to http://www.penturners.org/forum/f90/our-next-meeting-96997/ - which is locked - it should have referenced this thread.]

The schedule is ...
Meeting 1: Date: January 26, 2014 - 6007 Justine, Belleville, MI 48111 ... 734-485-3645 [Fischer's Place]
Meeting 2: Date: May 4, 2013 - Address coming soon [New Location ... details are coming]
Meeting 3: Date: July 27, 2013 - 2430 Girard, Warren, MI 48092 ... 586-563-0441 [Victor's Place]
Meeting 4: Date: October 26, 2013 - TBD
Meeting 5: Date: January 25, 2015 - 6007 Justine, Belleville, MI 48111 ... 734-485-3645 [Fischer's Place]

If you did not receive that email, but would like to receive meeting reminders (or other special notes), please PM or email me and I'll update my list.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest and support of the Michigan Chapter.

Last edited:

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ....

Riddle: Guess what makes December 30, 2013 a special day?

Answer: It's my last day of work. I'm retiring at the end of the month.

I don't know if my shop will be extra clean because I will have time to clean it up, or if it will be extra messy because I'll have time to use it!

I'll have to think about that ...

PTsideshow

Congrats have been retired 8 years now and you won't have as much free time as you think! :rolleyes: It seems life and wife gets in the way not to mention family! Still it is great, and even better that the wife know baby sits the gran baby all day 5 days a week.
You will enjoy it I'm sure.
:clown:

scotirish

Congratulations on your pending retirement! :):) I have been retired for 11 years and the only problem I have is that the time seems to go to fast. But then again I have 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday each week. :biggrin::biggrin:
See you on the other side when you are a fellow retiree. :wink::wink: We expect your shop to be full of projects. :beauty::beauty: Lots of sawdust, also. :highfive::highfive:
Ron

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Just a little over 2 weeks away !!!

It won't be long, just two weeks from this Sunday.

Could we please start a head count so we have an idea for chairs and snacks. Thanks.

Also, There is still time to express interest in a topic. If you want to see something, or demonstrate something, now is the time to speak up.

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

Robert Taylor

I am unable to attend on the 26th. Betty is going to Chicago on the 23rd to visit/see our first great-granddaughter and coming back on Sunday the 26th. I must pick her up at the airport at 6:30 and I never get home from the Detroit area before 10:30

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I am unable to attend on the 26th. Betty is going to Chicago on the 23rd to visit/see our first great-granddaughter and coming back on Sunday the 26th. I must pick her up at the airport at 6:30 and I never get home from the Detroit area before 10:30

Maybe she could fly into Detroit ... DTW is only about 15 minutes from my house ...

If this doesn't work out, do you think you could mail us some of those cookies?

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I Sent a Reminder

I emailed a meeting reminder to everyone ... a little concerned that there haven't been any additional posts.

Please continue to reply here to let us know if you will be attending (no need to reply again if you have already done so).

I will be supplying some chili ...

Please take a moment to volunteer for:
Regular Soft Drink
Diet Soft Drink
Sweet Snack
Salty Snack

NOTE: So far I'm anticipating a lite turn-out, so we don't need large bags of snacks.

Everyone ... reply here if you haven't done so ... and feel free to make contact with others to share rides (and encourage them/you to attend).

Talk/type to you soon.

Jim

pesbes

DAW Meeting

Jim,

I told the DAW members about the pen turning meeting next week. I hope that will push a few more folks your way, but without Betty's cookies, you could be in trouble.

Phil

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
You missed it !

A couple of days ago I took a look at the weather report and almost cancelled the meeting. Then the cookies arrived from Ohio and I thought if the guys found out that they arrived, and then I cancelled the meeting, there would be no way to explain it.

I got up early today so I could shovel the snow before I left for church. I was about a quarter of the way through when it started snowing again ... dang! By the time I got back home you couldn't tell where I had shoveled anything. I had to start over.

At 1:30 no one had arrived yet. I wasn't surprised since it was pretty nasty weather. Then Chris showed up, and a short time later, Mike. The three of us then had a good time talking pens, shops, and other topics, all the while munching on some Ohio cookies and eating some good Texas chili (no beans).

I really appreciate Chris & Mike for toughing out the bad driving conditions, I enjoyed our time together. As for the rest of you who bailed out due to weather, man-up, you act like your from down south.

Actually, I would rather people be cautious and safe.

See everyone next time at Dan Wright's house ... watch for a new thread to discuss and plan that meeting. I'll post Dan's address soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom