Winners -- Pen Box, Stand, Display Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

The voting is in and while I think all the entries are winners, the voting has selected the top three.

Special thanks to the "Sponsors" of this contest who donated prizes:

Prizes
First - A Box of Blanks from stonepecker (Wayne) worth $50
Second - Cigar snake blank set from its_virgil
Third - Box of Blanks from Edgar

In first place and winner of the box of blanks from Stonepecker is

Cody Walker (IAP Handle Cwalker935)

Congratulations Cody!!!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 228
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

2nd Place

Winning 2nd Place

The second place winner was

Roy Underwood (IAP Handle budnder)

Roy used laser to enhance his submission, which was a permitted process this summer.

Congratulations Roy!!

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 213

KenV

3rd Place

Last of the prizes, 3rd place goes to:

Earl McLain (IAP Handle greenacres2)

I edited the text submitted by Earl severely (and did not agree with his conclusion at the end of the text he submitted) but agreed with him that I would tell the "rest of the story" Paul Harvey style when the contest closed. Here is the text as Earl submitted it:

"Celtic Pen Stand
Before I met the Toymaker, he built several hundred toys each year--often hand sanding small parts from 3/4" pine down to 1/2" or less. Never sold any, rather gave them away. Once he learned I had a few tools, the Toymaker started bringing by scrap pine from a couple of local shops and I began milling for him. When it started, I looked for every reason to say no--by the time it ended i'd stop on the way home and pick up the Toymaker and some his wood, sometimes making him come out!!

On his last visit, he brought me some red oak molding--because he knew I "liked the good stuff". Probably his way of saying good-bye. That bundle has been standing in a corner of the shop for a year--so a few months ago I made his widow a Celtic pen, but haven't given it to her yet. Red oak's open grain makes a horrible pen--but Mrs. T will love it anyway. When the Extravaganza started--i'd just gotten a supply of mesquite chunks (the Toymaker's favorite grilling wood) so I thought I'd try a stand.

Mesquite body, red oak knot segmented in. Cross-drilled before turning--and ended up with something that looked like a rook from a chess set...the Toymaker's favorite game. Not much to it, and really somewhat rustic. I know that Mrs. T will not likely use the pen, so having a place to put it will be good. Not pretty by any stretch, but it carries its own beauty. Not a winner--but a chance to tell a good story...without a user name. Thanks for reading, and continue to do the things you do to touch others. Now...go vote for a real project."

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Cwalker935

Congrats to the other winners and thanks to everyone who voted for my pen and stand. Thanks to Ken for running a great contest and to Wayne, Edgar and Don for donating the prizes.

CREID

This was a tough contest to vote in. They all were my favorites. Congratulations to the winners.

greenacres2

Congrats to all--i'm honored to be included. Thanks to Ken for running the show, and the donors for their generosity.

Cody--we have a LOT of shells from various trips. Your pen & stand will most likely smooth the way for me to start casting one day...my wife thinks it's a great idea having seen your work!! :)
earl

Top Bottom