Winners of the Under 14 Beautiful Pen contest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You have spoken and the results are in!

Third Place

IN third place its its pen 8 no its pen 9 No we have a tie for third place. With 27 votes each Pen 8 and Pen 9!

Shall we toss a coin? Have a sudden death pen making overtime voting extravaganza! NO! We shall award extra prizes!

Without further Ado

Pen 8 and pen 9

110068d1392726888-voting-under-14-youth-beautiful-pens-z47-2.jpg
110064d1392726307-voting-under-14-youth-beautiful-pens-ls12-3.jpg

Pen 8 was made by Buzzzz4's daughter age 7 Olivia Beuker
This pen is M3 Damascus Steel on Executive pen components

Pen 9 was made by Lyonsacc's daughter age 12 Rebbeca Lyons
Handmade Polymer Clay - Turtles & Starfish on a Virage

Congratulations to both of you!
Both contestants will win
a Box of Blanks $25.00
and
a casting kit from alumilite. $16.00

Second Place

In second place with 29 votes

Pen 1

Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl on an Executive

110048d1392725479-voting-under-14-youth-beautiful-pens-ls14-2.jpg

Pen 1 was made by Lyonsac's child age 10 Cole Lyons
2nd place prize is
A glue package from Satellite CIty instant glues $40.00
A 16 oz casting kit from Alumilite $16.00
A box of blanks from an an anonymous donor!

And in this corner winner and still grand champion

The first place winning pen

Pen 6

Cherry pits in red resin turned and placed on a Le Roi Elegant.

110056d1392726020-voting-under-14-youth-beautiful-pens-z48-1.jpg

Pen 9 was made by Buzzzz4's daughter Katie Beuker! age 8

First place prizes
10 Leroi Elegant pen sets $80.00 From Smitty's Pen Works
A 16 oz casting kit from Alumilite! $16.00

Congratulations
to all of you! Great pens by every one!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Please feel free to post pictures of your kids and their pens along with any other stories you would like to share from this. Congratulations everyone!.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Congratulations to all the place finishers and all who will place in the future.

A Special congrats to Katie...Smitty37 is kinda proud that you won using a kit from Smitty's Pen Works and made it look so good with the job you did and the blank you chose.

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Both Katie and Olivia were very excited when I told them the results of the contest. They were even more excited to know that Lyonsacc (Dave's) kids were placed with them. They have gotten to know Dave's kids a little through kid PITH exchanges as well as competing in the contests.

The story behind the champion cherry pit pen: Katie was looking around the shop and thinking about what would look really cool, but also be unbelievable for a kid to turn. She looked at worthless wood blanks as well as trustone but kept coming back to the cherry pits we cast together. She then looked through the kits and settled on the Le Roi because of the bling. She did the cutting, drilling and gluing. I helped her with holding the turning tool and she learned how to add CA to keep the pits in the blank. She then learned how to apply a thick coat of CA for the finish. She then sanded on her own. She completed 90% of this pen on her own with some assistance to ensure safety from dad, and I am one proud dad.
P2100427.JPG

Olivia's M3 pen started out in a similar way. She was looking around the shop and was not finding exactly what she was looking for. She is one who gets something in her mind, and won't let it go. She then asked me where those "other" blanks are at. Those would be my special stash. She immediately pulled out the M3 Damascus and declared that one to be it. Of course I couldn't say no. She did the cutting with assistance, drilled her herself and allowing me to assist in the turning much to her insistence that she could do it herself. She learned that finishing is a bit different with the metal polish and pressed it together by herself. Once again, proud dad. I couldn't find the photo of her with her pen, but attached is a pic of our date this fall mini-golfing.
IMG_20130815_195356_436.jpg

Thank you all for the votes and thanks to Mike for running a great contest!

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Both Katie and Olivia were very excited when I told them the results of the contest. They were even more excited to know that Lyansacc (Dave's) kids were placed with them. They have gotten to know Dave's kids a little through kid PITH exchanges as well as competing in the contests.

The story behind the champion cherry pit pen: Katie was looking around the shop and thinking about what would look really cool, but also be unbelievable for a kid to turn. She looked at worthless wood blanks as well as trustone but kept coming back to the cherry pits we cast together. She then looked through the kits and settled on the Le Roi because of the bling. She did the cutting, drilling and gluing. I helped her with holding the turning tool and she learned how to add CA to keep the pits in the blank. She then learned how to apply a thick coat of CA for the finish. She then sanded on her own. She completed 90% of this pen on her own with some assistance to ensure safety from dad, and I am one proud dad.
View attachment 111408

Olivia's M3 pen started out in a similar way. She was looking around the shop and was not finding exactly what she was looking for. She is one who gets something in her mind, and won't let it go. She then asked me where those "other" blanks are at. Those would be my special stash. She immediately pulled out the M3 Damascus and declared that one to be it. Of course I couldn't say no. She did the cutting with assistance, drilled her herself and allowing me to assist in the turning much to her insistence that she could do it herself. She learned that finishing is a bit different with the metal polish and pressed it together by herself. Once again, proud dad. I couldn't find the photo of her with her pen, but attached is a pic of our date this fall mini-golfing.
View attachment 111409

Thank you all for the votes and thanks to Mike for running a great contest!
Well as you know, I collect pens as well as sell pen kits. So if Katie ever considers parting with that pen please let me know, I would love to have it in my collection...

allisnut

Congratulations to the winners. Dakota was very disappointed that her Celtic knot went from third place in the first poll to last in the finals, but we have a good time together in the shop. She has made over 100 pens, buying her materials and carefully managing her savings. I am very proud of how far she has come.

lyonsacc

Mike - thanks for running the contest for our kids!
2-28-14 019 2.jpg
Rebecca has worked hard on her polyclay pens over the past year. She has a number of "unfinished" pens in the basement because something didn't go well. I made her a set of wood bushings that she used on this pen to get things to the right size and a smoother surface. The most enjoyable part for me was spending 4 or 5 hours one afternoon with her a the kitchen table while the canes and blanks were made. I got to fiddle with one of my projects while watching and helping her create her canes (yes, I helped some - it is hard to keep your hands off the clay when it is all sitting there begging to be played with).
2-28-14 021 2.jpg
This is actually Cole's second completed pen. His first couple attempts ended up in pieces on the floor. His first completed pen went to one of Eric's kids (Katie I think). I was really impressed with him on this one. He stuck with it and wanted to do every part - even the CA finish. If you have ever turned an executive, you know that the material gets mighty thin. He spent a good 15 or 20 minutes choosing a blank. This one came from a PITH swap with Peter (pwhay) in Australia. He loves the idea that the wood came from Tasmania. I was there with him all of the way on this one to provide guidance and direction and to make sure things went safely.
2-28-14 020 2.jpg
Josh won the parts for this pen back in June/July from an IAP contest (and I can't remember what the contest was). I believe the kit came from David (Oldman5050) and the blank came from Smitty. He was thrilled to make the pen from "his" stash. He required a lot of help along the way. He slept with it for a little while :).

Congrats to all the participants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom