Winner of the 2020 SE - Youth Pen Making Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

And the Winner of the "2020 Summer Extravaganza – Youth Pen Making Contest" is:

Kayden Wiebelhaus age 12 the Granddaughter of Edgar Dohmann (AKA Edgar)

She had a beautiful entry. In fact she was the only entrant and wins by default!

Here's the info and pics of her entry: This is a Sierra Elegant Beauty pen kit and a tube-in casted blank made by another IAP member. This was my granddaughter's first time to use my lathe, so I knocked off the corners of the blank for her then assisted her with the turning by guiding her hands through most of the turning process. She did all the sanding, polishing, and assembly on her own.

Entry01-01.jpg
Entry01-02.jpg
Entry01-03.jpg

Congrats Kayden!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Well that's one way to win, and Kayden will be thrilled. We had a lot of fun making this pen.

Thanks to the prize donors.

Mr Vic

Must be all them Almonds. May need some suntan lotion to protect me from your beaming smile Edgar!

Congrats for sure. I'm extremely happy to see youth getting involved in wood, or acrylic, turning. Wood working is becoming a lost art and it's great to see someone as young as your grand daughter getting into wood working, even acrylic pens. Good for sure, and her, and great that you're teaching her. Very impressive!!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great job! Better than I could ever hope to accomplish. All those little pieces.....

Thanks, but it's actually a tube-in casting of an ink jet printout. Cody Walker (Cwalker935) made several of these blanks for me a few years ago. This was the last one I had left, and when I showed Kayden some blanks to choose from for her pen, this is the one she selected.

So it was just a simple rosin blank turning project, but still a bit challenging since it was her first pen on the lathe. She's made some clay pens before, but this was a totally new experience for her.

Cwalker935

Thanks, but it's actually a tube-in casting of an ink jet printout. Cody Walker (Cwalker935) made several of these blanks for me a few years ago. This was the last one I had left, and when I showed Kayden some blanks to choose from for her pen, this is the one she selected.

So it was just a simple rosin blank turning project, but still a bit challenging since it was her first pen on the lathe. She's made some clay pens before, but this was a totally new experience for her.

I thought that I had missed the youth contest poll and found this thread when looking for the poll. I saw the pen and thought that the blank looked familiar. Kayden certainly made the blank look good. She is certainly a beautiful young lady, you must be very proud. Congratulations to you both!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I thought that I had missed the youth contest poll and found this thread when looking for the poll. I saw the pen and thought that the blank looked familiar. Kayden certainly made the blank look good. She is certainly a beautiful young lady, you must be very proud. Congratulations to you both!

Thanks, Cody & thanks for the great work on those blanks!

Top Bottom