Winged Canary Bowl (pics)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from American_and_Proud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Jet 1442 lathe and decided to give a Winged bowl a try, so far only one coat of BLO on it.

20073302582_Canary-oiled-1.jpg

200733025825_Canary-oiled-2.jpg

200733025838_Canary-oiled-3.jpg

20073302590_Canary-oiled-4.jpg

200733025920_Canary-oiled-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Wow, that's a good job with the turning, but also the blank is spectacular. It looks more like tulipwood, than canarywood. I want to try that some time, when I get a chance. I'm behind on other projects though and have a huge order to take care of first. Besides, my new lathe isn't hooked up yet.
Rob

Firefyter-emt

Cool bowl.. I love these designs myself.

Wanna try some mind blowing ones?? Enjoy, and post up some when you are done! [:D]

www.yankeetoys.org/lee/bowl-patterns.pdf

The arrow points to your center point to set the blank up on. Print them out and spray glue them right on the wood.

Thanks everyone, This was only my second ever complete bowl try of any type.
I have turned Green maple down to nothing for practice. My first attempt at dry bowl blanks was also a winged bowl , but I blew out the center bottom while trying to clean up the tennon so it looked light and detailed.
Lee I'm gonna need a little more info to try what your showing, I'm willing , could you elaborate some more please? Again Thanks for the kind words on my winged bowl.
Here is a couple pics of that one , Its very thin throughout.

20074152427_winged-web-2.jpg
<br />

20074152519_winged-web-1.jpg
<br />

20074152545_winged-web-1.jpg
<br />
And then the HOLE.

20074152625_winged-web-5.jpg
<br />

Firefyter-emt

What you have there is a fine example of a hand turned wooden funnel!

Those templates are used to shape the outside rim into star shapes, hexagons ect.. The real trick is you really have to be on the centerline. Take a square (or round) blank and find the center. That template is best if spray glued right to the wood so it can't move (I have used a glue stick to be honest) Now line up that arrow with your center point and cut the shape out that the pattern makes. Now the best way to turn these is with a nice square blank (thickness wise) as a "tree bowl blank" is hard to get a nice centered pattern. Basicly said, store bought blanks are your best bet (or nice 12/4 lumber)

The blank is also best mounted with a face plate, say you have a 3" face plate, use a caliper to draw a 3" circle using your arrow center point as pivot and line it up that way. If you are off center, the pattern will be lop sided.

Next, is a tip. try to envision the bowl "stuck thru" a board and see if you can center the wing in the middle so that you have more of a suspension than a lip on the bowl. Bill Grumbine has a great video on doing these and both of his videos are greatly helpfull [;)]

I did one of those "oh S..." bowls too... mine was a natural edge walnut that I wanted to just touch up the bottom a little... touched it with the sander and right through the bottom.. otherwise it was a beautiful bowl.. Oh Well![:I]

BTW... I like the canary.. that is nice wood to work with. Beautiful grain and beautifully done.

johncrane

Very nice work Scott l done one yesterday myself' told my wife not too stand there she could get hit with a bit of wood' two seconds later!! it flew apart still can't find one bit never mind l still have all my fingers and my wife.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom