Winged Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

A friend gave me a piece of Oak burl. This is what I made from it. It was my first time making a winged bowl and the first time putting a bead on a bowl. With all the cracks in the wood it didn't feel like there was much holding it together :eek: The piece measures 10 1/2" x 6" x 1 1/2" and is finished with Danish Oil.

1_ACT_757106.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Keith I guess for a guy who jumps out of airplanes, that spinning on the lathe wasn't scary. Just scares me thinking about it. You did a magnificent job..

FloridaDon

Yep! A very beautiful piece of art that takes some considerable talent.

I know, because not more than a half hour ago, I blew up a winged bowl.

When they crack, they sure do fly.

You said this was your first - I am totally jealous as I know how hard it is to do a job like you just did. Sharp tools sure help! HuH!?

Great work.

Florida Don

VisExp

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Nice job you have more than a bowl you have a work of art

My wife looked at it and said it's full of holes. I told her that it sure wasn't a soup bowl so it must be art :biggrin:

Bet that sounded like a propeller on the lathe. Heck it probably looked like a propeller. Nice work, Keith, totally gnarly!

Yup. It reminded me of a scene from Apocalypse Now.

I know, because not more than a half hour ago, I blew up a winged bowl.

I feel your pain Don. I still find bits of bowls every now and then when I clean my shop.

Does it sit on it's own or is it too off balance?

Skye, I flattened the bottom a bit so it sits on its own.

J

jackrichington

skillful work, from a man unconcerned for his safety! Lovely work..a delight to look at.

marcruby

Winged bowls always scare me. It's so easy to forget and move your hand over to the wrong side of the rest. Making one with that much 'air' would be a real challenge to control.

Marc

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow !!!!:eek:

Not only do you have a built in CNC machine, but you also have nerves of steel!!! :biggrin:

ngeb528

That's really cool, Keith.

I think I would panic trying to turn something like that. I bow to your superior control. :worship:

Nancy

Dario

Good job!

Turning natural edge is always scary. Add those cracks and inclusions and that makes it really scary. Compound that with some funky areas and that is almost crazy.

As mentioned...you must have steel b**** :biggrin:

S

spiritwoodturner

Keith, really great piece. What are you going to do with it? Did you use any CA at all or did you fly without a net, er, a parachute?

Very pretty.

Dale

J

jackrichington

stunning & well done...I'da wet my pants...scary looking peice of wood

Top Bottom