Wine Glasses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crokett

crokett

Walnut stems with spalted maple bases. I make them with slightly different shapes so it's easier to remember which glass is yours when you're using them.
D45A7720-65E1-4006-92E9-F83A67831B21.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

That is a very clever idea - turning distinct shapes for the stems.

No insult intended, but do you cut off the bottoms of commercially made glasses, or do you blow your own glasses?

crokett

That is a very clever idea - turning distinct shapes for the stems.

No insult intended, but do you cut off the bottoms of commercially made glasses, or do you blow your own glasses?
Thanks. No offense taken. I cut off the stems. One day I might look for a local glassblower and see what their price is per glass, but for now I find the glasses at thrift stores, etc. Sometimes it's tough to find a matching set. It took a few attempts to figure out the most reliable way to cut the stems, and it took a few sets of these to work out the best way to sequence the turning operations.

penicillin

How do you cut off the stems? With a diamond cutter and a Dremel tool? Scratch and snap? Something else?

Thanks. No offense taken. I cut off the stems. One day I might look for a local glassblower and see what their price is per glass, but for now I find the glasses at thrift stores, etc. Sometimes it's tough to find a matching set. It took a few attempts to figure out the most reliable way to cut the stems, and it took a few sets of these to work out the best way to sequence the turning operations.
Good Morning all... I like to make the wine glasses too... I go to either the local Dollar Tree, KARM (Knoxville Area Rescue Mission) or the local habitat store to pick up my glasses... most I've paid for them usually runs about $1 to $1.50 per glass...
I find the easiest way to cut the stems is to use my Dremel with a cut-off disc.... holding the glass over a trash can, I touch the stem where I want it to cut, allow the Dremel to heat the glass slightly and the bottom will just pop off.... I save the bottoms to use as lids for my salt cellars.
Try the Dremel and see if it's not easier to cut the glasses.

Not criticizing your glasses, but I like to set the stems tight against the bulb of the glass....
404174 (1).JPG
39-2065_0.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom