Wine glasses destinnation Uganda

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

I don't know if this should fit here or in Marketing... I like to take wine glasses and cut the stems off about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the globe and set them on wooden stems... I had a set that was made using "Spectraply" for the stems.... they usually got a lot of attention, but didn't sell for a few months... this past Saturday a lady walked into my booth, picked them immediately and asked if they could be safely packed for her carry on luggage to get them back to Uganda... she was a collector of wine glasses and was working in Africa.... I packed them really well in tissue and suggested she put them in a small box for transport... so I have some of my work in Africa...

Attachments

• 40-1293_0.JPG
    40-1293_0.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 40-1293_1.JPG
    40-1293_1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

congrats on the sale! what made you decide to cut your own glasses as opposed to buying the pre made stuff from CSUSA? just curious

congrats on the sale! what made you decide to cut your own glasses as opposed to buying the pre made stuff from CSUSA? just curious

The price... I can go to Carolina Pottery here in Knoxville and pick up a case of glasses for about $10 or $12.... the pre-made stuff from CSUSA are basically the same glasses at $4 each.

Also if you notice, the glasses from CSUSA are normal glasses with the stems cut off...

These look great. I've been thinking about this. How do you cut them?

I use a Dremel with a cut-off disc.... just about a second or two spinning on the stem will make the stem pop off.... do wear safety glasses - glass can throw shards even with the cut off wheel.... and I suggest using either a paper bag or trash can so the base drops safely inside.

Last edited:
Then how do you secure the glass to the wood? Epoxy?

I use the 5 min epoxy from Monte.... it works better than the glass glue that CSUSA sold... the glass glue never fully set, stayed flexible and a good hard twist would take the glass off the stem.... I leave about 1/2 inch stem on the glass to sit down into the stem, I put the epoxy down into the recess and spread as evenly as possible... don't use too much as it will ooze out and get all over the stem....

Sully

They are very nice, and another project to add to the list to try. I know when I show my wife we will be doing some soon. She does stained glass and has a glass saw so cutting the stems off will easy. I'd have the hard job keeping up making the base.

Top Bottom