Windows question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My computer was updating, and installed a new windows. It then downloaded more updates and restarted. During that stage, the power cord came loose, which led to the computer turning off during the install. Now it won't boot, and the recovery environment doesn't load.

When it updated to the new windows, it deleted my recovery environment and restore points.

I was able to download the windows installation tool, and ran the troubleshooting tools, but when I run it, it doesn't have a 'reset' option. I tried an install in place, but it says I can't do that from the windows installation disk, and will have to do a full install. I'd prefer not to do that as I'd like to keep my apps and files if at all possible. If not, I'd like to be able to install in a way that I don't have to pay for windows again. My windows key is long since worn off of the laptop.

Any idea what to do? I can look at the files through the command prompt and see that there's a windows directory and a windows.old directory (because it just updated). I've tried all of the tools I can think of.

Mortalis

What I've done in the past when a Windows installation has become unusable is to reinstall windows in a different directory. Name it WindowsNew or something like that. Then all my files are still available once the installation is complete. That is a last ditch option though because you will need to reinstall many of the apps too.

Top Bottom