Win 10 help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Wife turned on her Dell computer Saturday and Win 10 has been installed. I have IOS El Capitan so i am not up on Win 10 My Dell hasn't been started for months either my desktop or laptop so I am completely lost as how to get win 7 back or how to set up Win 10 for her. She is not computer savvy at all all she want is her My Yahoo home page and IE back and looking like it used. Can some one point me in the right direction to get Win 7 back or configure Win 10 to look and feel like 7

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmetri93

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

If you have a back up copy of windows somewhere, or a Windows 7 install disc, you might be able to reverse it, but if not, you're probably stuck with 10 unless you want to buy an install disc.

Microsoft has done away with the IE browser from 7 for their new "Edge" browser that comes with 10.

You can set the homepage on any browser to whatever you want. In Edge, if you look in the upper right hand corner, there's a symbol with 3 dots. Click it. Then look for the word "Settings", and click that. When that menu opens, there should be a section with four options beneath the words "Open with". The last of the four options should be "A specific page or pages". Select that and click on the drop-down box and select "Custom". A new input box should have just popped up and you can input the web address into this box and hit enter, and it will save that as a page to open up to.

You can choose between their "Light" and "Dark" theme, but I'm not familiar with Edge beyond that so I don't know that you'll be able to get the old "feel" of IE back.

Ed McDonnell

Tom - Reverting (or downgrading) to windows 7 from 10 is easy as long as you did an upgrade instead of a fresh install, and haven't done something like trying to reinstall windows 7 over windows 10.

Method 1: in the lower left of the windows 10 screen is a "search" box. Type in "go back to windows 7". You should see the "go back to windows 7 option in the popup menu. Click it and then click "get started" under "go back to windows 7".

Method 2: Click on the start button (looks like 4 rectangles in the lower left of the screen). Click on "settings". Click on "update & security". Click on "recovery". Under "go back to windows 7" click on "get started".

You have a month to revert back to your previous version. Consider having your wife give 10 a try for a couple of days. She might decide to stay with it.

Ed

Wingdoctor

To get your old favorites from IE, click on the 3 lines to the right of the star in the header. Then click Favorites Settings, There is an option to import your favorites from IE.

robutacion

Tom - Reverting (or downgrading) to windows 7 from 10 is easy as long as you did an upgrade instead of a fresh install, and haven't done something like trying to reinstall windows 7 over windows 10.

Method 1: in the lower left of the windows 10 screen is a "search" box. Type in "go back to windows 7". You should see the "go back to windows 7 option in the popup menu. Click it and then click "get started" under "go back to windows 7".

Method 2: Click on the start button (looks like 4 rectangles in the lower left of the screen). Click on "settings". Click on "update & security". Click on "recovery". Under "go back to windows 7" click on "get started".

You have a month to revert back to your previous version. Consider having your wife give 10 a try for a couple of days. She might decide to stay with it.

Ed

I also turned the computer on one day and It started on Windows 10 and I didn't wanted to change from the Windows 7 Pro that has been working well for me so, I immediately found something that would give me the option to revert to what I had and I endup doing exactly what you suggest here and I got Windows 7 back in no time.

What I did also was to find a way to stop the constant messages about wanting to get Windows 10 so, I remembered to have read something here on IAP about a software someone wrote that stop windows 10 on the spot, no more messages trying to upgrade to Windows 10.

The software is called " Never 10" someone posted its web link so I used it and it worked like a charm...!

While I have the computer I have (about 4 years old) that come with Windows 7 on it, I simply don't want to change, the day I have to buy a new computer, I then will consider what software I want on it, until then, no Windows 10, period...!

Cheers
George

nativewooder

It is my humble opinion that Windows 10 is only fit for the garbage dump. Look for Microsoft to do everything possible to keep "10" around whether we like it or not. It may have been designed by special immigrants from Asia in their language which cannot be interpreted well into English. However, I did see on the news that if you are willing to spend the time on the phone with Microsoft, they will "walk" you back to Windows 7. Good Luck. Michael Dell has also sold us down the river!:mad:

tbroye

My wife will soon be 70 and she does not like change. I offered to get her an iMac when I got mine, but nooooo. Its been long enough for me on a Mac that i have forgoten most of what I knew about Windows. She has an iPad and iPhone and it would be so much easier if she had the Mac. Thanks for all you suggestion. I will take a look at it later to day. This wasn't a Fresh install, Microsoft did it over night auto upgrade. There is probably a political thing in this but I won't go there even as a joke.

8am PDT
It has started we shall see. No programs to worry about, Just interned and Facebook and some games. So shouldn't be any problems Thanks gang

8:25 PDT Happy Happy Wife, Means Happy life. It worked all she has to do is log into some of her sights. That is easy enough One User Name one Password. She has nothing of value on that computer except pictures. Thanks for all your help will go in later and disable Auto updates.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Glad it worked Tom. You don't have to completely disable auto updates. Just uncheck the box that says something like "give me recommended updates the same way I get important updates". Microsoft added that box during a previous update and auto checked it during their update. That is what is causing everyone to suddenly get windows 10 (which is a recommended update, but is not important (in the sense of fixing security holes / bugs)).

Ed

DaveT

Another option is to install Classic Shell on windows 10.

It makes Win 10 look just like Win 7.

tbroye

Dave that may be an option for later. Right now don't touch her compute. Her birthday is next month, seriously considering getting her an iMac won't have this foolishness and her devices will all talk to each other and don't have the crashes and updates. I am just not up on the Windows any more not interested either.

sbwertz

To keep from being a victim of a "drive-by upgrade" to windows 10, download and run gwx control panel (it's free). It will allow you to prevent the automatic upgrade to 10. If it is already installed, you can roll it back, then install the gwx control panel to prevent it from just upgrading again!

I have one laptop I am not going to upgrade. It will stay on 7 until it either dies or they stop supporting 7 in six years. I have a number of programs that won't run on 10.

Top Bottom