Wild Card Pen Dressed in Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WarEagle90

WarEagle90

I had mentioned in another thread that I was making a wild card pen for a prize at my regular poker game tomorrow night. I decided to dress it with bloodwood. The two go well together. It is finished with walnut oil as a sanding sealer and then I used Doctor's Woodshop Pen's Plus. I'm thinking I hope I win it back. Any feedback is welcome. Enjoy

. Wild Card and Bloodwood 1.jpgWild Card and Bloodwood 2.jpgWild Card and Bloodwood 3.jpgWild Card and Bloodwood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Dan,
Attractive Blank, Nicely Turned, Fitted and Finished.
Did the Walnut Oil, or Doctor's Woodshop Pen's Plus darken the Bloodwood, or is that close to the unfinished Colour?
Excellent Choice of Hardware,
I hope you do get to win it Back,
With My Luck, I wouldn't go to the Game, I'd just Keep the Pen, it's a Beauty.
Congratulations,
Brian.

WarEagle90

I appreciate all the kind comments. I've got to make at least one more, two if I don't win it back. My son saw it yesterday and he wants one but with ebony instead of bloodwood.

WarEagle90

Beautiful Pen Dan,
Attractive Blank, Nicely Turned, Fitted and Finished.
Did the Walnut Oil, or Doctor's Woodshop Pen's Plus darken the Bloodwood, or is that close to the unfinished Colour?
Excellent Choice of Hardware,
I hope you do get to win it Back,
With My Luck, I wouldn't go to the Game, I'd just Keep the Pen, it's a Beauty.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Brian, the finish darkened the wood ever so slightly while enhancing the red color of the wood at the same time. I had expected it to be much darker so I was pleasantly surprised.

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is a great looking pen, but the color fooled me.
That does look brown as compared to the bloodwood I have used over the years. I still have quite a few boards of bloodwood and it is bright Maroonish-Red. In my experience, adding any amberish colored finish changes bloodwood into more brown and in some cases gave it an orangish hue. The clearer the finish, the more red shows through.

Top Bottom