Who needs a punching bag?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Take out your aggressions by hand planing a glue-up of reclaimed pine!

This wood was in the bunkbed first I, then my baby brother, then BOTH of my kids slept in growing up. My daughter was given a bed from Disneyland's Grand California hotel (grandma works for Disneyland, so gets access to the employee store where stuff like this shows up). I didn't wanna just give it away or toss it, so I chopped it up into the largest possible pieces to save for something.

When we got the LCD tv last week I gave my daughter our 27" CRT TV. But it needs a stand. I thought this would be a great use of the wood. A glue-up top, three legs (it's going in the corner) and two shelves.

Since I don't have a planer or drum sander, and my little ROS sander would take a decade to get through the varnish, I decided to use my Stanley Bailey No. 5. I don't get much opportunity to use it any more, so I was looking forward to this.

Honed up the blade, and went to work. Discovered this pine tears out BAD if I get aggressive with the balde angle. :mad: So I had to adjust it way down so I would barely scrape the surface.

I'm about 80% done (the other side of the glue-up in the pic is done) but my back just pooped out.

Man do I feel good though!

tvstand01sm.jpg

randywa

When you get done with it, I have a 1906 oak dining table that need the same treatment. The last layer that went one was glued with something like grey rocks. It laughs at 120 grit paper. No wonder it was almost free.

Top Bottom