Who does the best segmenting you have seen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SecLoSo

Looking to find some makers who do phenomenal segmenting for pen blanks if anyone knows of anyone please let me know =)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

PB260048.JPG
PB260050.JPG
PB260054.JPG

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm a little curious. What is your purpose? - To have someone make some for you? To have others make for you and you sell on consignment or other?

A few people who make and sell do not show or post their finest because they sell themselves, and if they do show/post, their designs will certainly be copied and sold. And there are still unique designs yet to be created. This has happened several times over the years. I don't mind anything I do to be copied, and neither do several others, but some do. Just curious of your purpose.

jttheclockman

I am with Hank on this question. What is your purpose of asking?? First I do segmenting but do not sell my blanks. Now I have no problem anyone using my designs but will be far pressed to make blanks to sell. Too much work for so little money. In my eyes just not worth the effort unless you have a laser or some source to mass produce. Those blanks shown by a member are all very well done but I bet would be far pressed to do on a heavy count order. Now doing simple basic segmenting is a whole other world. So when you say best there are different degrees of best because of complexity of blanks. Hope you do not fade away and not return with answers. We see that alot here too.

dogcatcher

The "best" is something that can be made at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable amount of time is a more realistic approach. It also still has to look good.

Another question, is this to be made for personal gratification? If yes, then cost and time factors are not relevant. Wasting time and money are what hobbies are for.

wood128

Joe's blanks turn wonderfully! I turned these a few years back - the primary segmenting is all Wood128's work (I did some spacing with the added endcaps).

View attachment 336822
Beautiful work Mark. I don't remember seeing those finished pens. I have about 75 finished segmented blanks ready to send to exoticblanks if they want them. I still enjoy making them ( many hours of work ) and some are constructed while watching TV . One time I fell asleep in the chair , woke up and there was a different ball game showing and the segmented blank was........A MESS to say the least !!!!! Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Keep up the good work Mark and hope you are able to do some Scuba Diving . The water here is a lot clearer and the snook are more plentiful . WOW !!!

SecLoSo

I am with Hank on this question. What is your purpose of asking?? First I do segmenting but do not sell my blanks. Now I have no problem anyone using my designs but will be far pressed to make blanks to sell. Too much work for so little money. In my eyes just not worth the effort unless you have a laser or some source to mass produce. Those blanks shown by a member are all very well done but I bet would be far pressed to do on a heavy count order. Now doing simple basic segmenting is a whole other world. So when you say best there are different degrees of best because of complexity of blanks. Hope you do not fade away and not return with answers. We see that alot here too.
Looking to find someone who sells really nice ones for me to turn as Im really not much of a woodworker (self taught turner over the past 13 years) and Im opening up my own art gallery :D just want to have it on the back burner in case someone wants one. Ive paid hundreds for blanks before and understand the work that goes into them.

Additionally also looking for someone who sells sleds for doing it myself as a possibility. Finally just trying to learn the community a bit more. Ave seen a lot of drama and most watched from afar, only recently did I decide to get active with facebook, forums, and reaching out more beyond my usual suppliers.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looking to find someone who sells really nice ones for me to turn as Im really not much of a woodworker (self taught turner over the past 13 years) and Im opening up my own art gallery :D just want to have it on the back burner in case someone wants one. Ive paid hundreds for blanks before and understand the work that goes into them.

Additionally also looking for someone who sells sleds for doing it myself as a possibility. Finally just trying to learn the community a bit more. Ave seen a lot of drama and most watched from afar, only recently did I decide to get active with facebook, forums, and reaching out more beyond my usual suppliers.
I think you may be able to buy some of the great blanks displayed so far - from individuals that make them. I will also mention that several of the suppliers here have many custom made blanks from individuals on this forum as well as other forums such as FB.

While there are others and it would be appreciated if some of you would post links to other suppliers/sellers who have such blanks as William is asking.

Exotic Blanks at exoticblanks.com has different ones at different times. There are others though.

jttheclockman

Well there you go Exotic Blanks sells blank makers blanks and as you see they sell that person's blanks and that should get you started. May want to check out the list of vendors in the library and see if they have different ones for sale. As far as learning the community it helps us to learn about you also. have to tell you though if you can not make a simple sled to make a few segmented blanks tells me you are not good around power tools and I would be hesitant to suggest sleds. But there are examples here that people have made so may want to reach out to members and see if they will build for you.

Top Bottom