White Limba and Bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another simple segment, but I liked the combinations. White Limba and Bloodwood (recipient supplied/labeled wood).

IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Another simple segment, but I liked the combinations. White Limba and Bloodwood (recipient supplied/labeled wood).

View attachment 234924View attachment 234925

Simple look but very eloquent Mark, I like it a lot. One question though. How do you keep the darker wood from bleeding into the lighter colored wood while sanding? I've tried this same look but it always comes out with bleed over and it drives me nuts.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Simple look but very eloquent Mark, I like it a lot. One question though. How do you keep the darker wood from bleeding into the lighter colored wood while sanding? I've tried this same look but it always comes out with bleed over and it drives me nuts.

I apply Mylands Sanding sealer before the last few grits. I actually suspect a thin coat of CA would also do fine. Then for the last few grits I use the white delrin CA bushings, and sand with the lathe on, then with the lathe off from the middle to the outside for each stroke - never the opposite. Go from light to dark, not dark to light. I do not finish the process with conventional steel bushings. At times, the white credit card veneer get discolored, so I might use a very thin diamond file just on the white veneer to get it bright.

I apply Mylands Sanding sealer before the last few grits. I actually suspect a thin coat of CA would also do fine. Then for the last few grits I use the white delrin CA bushings, and sand with the lathe on, then with the lathe off from the middle to the outside for each stroke - never the opposite. Go from light to dark, not dark to light. I do not finish the process with conventional steel bushings. At times, the white credit card veneer get discolored, so I might use a very thin diamond file just on the white veneer to get it bright.

Perfect, just what I needed to know. I'll give the Mylands a shot as CA and me don't get along. Thanks for getting back to me Mark.

Top Bottom