White Diamond

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

It's normally used at the second stage of a three stage buffing process - (1)Tripoli Compound (2) White Diamond (3) Wax

Gary

Originally posted by Fleabit
<br />Is this in place of a CA/BLO finish?

The buffing process is normally done after you complete your finish. Or alternatively, on the bare wood with no finish. I can't speak for BLO/CA; I don't use CA as a finish.

I turned a myrtlewood bowl this weekend, sanded it, then 3-stage buffed it (no finish). It is high gloss and beautifully polished.

When buffing a lacquer or poly finish, it is usually better to skip the tripoli compound and use only the white diamond and wax. Use all three stages on bare wood.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Just a little reminder... DO NOT use the white diamond on open pored woods that have not been filled... especially on a dark wood like walnut... you will find it fills the pores and you have white speckled walnut...

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Yepper[:(]

Any good opinions on how to get that stuff outa there when you do[?]

Not that I might have several turned blanks sitting around from that learning process[:)]

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Just a little reminder... DO NOT use the white diamond on open pored woods that have not been filled... especially on a dark wood like walnut... you will find it fills the pores and you have white speckled walnut...

Lornek8

You can go back and try using the Tripoli again to get it out. That sometimes works. I've found that if you use very light pressure and very little white diamond you can actually use it with opened grained woods without coloring the pores. By very light I mean barely touching the very tips of the buffing wheel to the wood. It still leaves a great shine but doesn't depsoit the white diamond.

LorneK

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't know how "bad" this suggestion would be to a purist, but I took a toothpick and touched brown shoe polish to a few open pored spots that had some white in it. I only had 3 or 4, but it did the trick. After that, I rubbed it with a cloth and then sanded lightly with 1000 sandpaper and started my finishing again. Worked great for me

Last week I bought four different colored dyes that match wood to use in the future. Some woods have a wide range of very good vs. not so good grain. Purple heart pores show up as too much dirty gray contrast for the beautiful purple of the grain on some blanks, so I bought some purple leather cream paste and am going to try that to get the holes more consistent in color to the grain. I haven't had time to try it yet, but will soon.

A recent post of Pink Ivory got me interested in trying this. As one person said, there is a wide difference in PI quality. I have turned 2 PI and did not like the looks. They looked dirty because the pores were gray. I hope to see if I can fill these gray pores with some pink color.

I will be busy in the Habitat for Humanity booth for a couple of weeks at the World EXPO that opens in a couple of days (Nagoya, Japan) and might not get a chance to try this for that length of time. If someone else wants to try it first, go ahead and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom