Whisky Cigar in all Antique Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska!

Today I made a pen for Clark Smith, a co-worker and friend that retired a year after I did. When I was the Director of Engineering he was the Director of R&D so we worked very closely together on a lot of projects. I'm sure we were quite a sight when we traveled together to meetings, sort of like "Twins" (from the 1988 movie) as he is tall and slender, about 6-feet, 7-inches, and I am short and round, 5-foot, 6-inches. Last week we finally got together for lunch, the first time since COVID-19. Anyhow, we also happen to share the same favorite whisky, so I made a Jack Daniel's barrel stave pen to give to him the next time we get together for lunch. It is a Cigar style in an all Antique Brass and I finished it using my standard CA regemin. It is the most chatoyant piece of Oak I have ever seen. It is really too bad chatoyancy doesen't come through very well in photographs.

Regards - Dave

Glamor Shot (Thumbnail):
IMG_2460 Cropped.jpg

Technical Photos to show the different sides as it is rotated:
IMG_2464 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2465 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2466 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2467 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The chatoyance may not come through, but that is a beautifully figured blank. Lovely turning and finish also! Well done for an awesome gift; kudos! 👏 👏 👏

Stephen

Hi Dave,
Greetings from Singapore. What a great gift to a fellow collegue. Jack Daniel's has indeed helped keep the happy working experience. God bless. Cheers.

Fine Engineer

I love how you were able to retain just a hint of the char to show that this is not just 'any old oak'. Nice warm tones, with hints of caramel and a nice clear oaky finish. Pairs well with evenings out at the pub, or informal gatherings of writers and artists. :cool:

Jeff

MedWoodWorx

Greetings from Nebraska!

Today I made a pen for Clark Smith, a co-worker and friend that retired a year after I did. When I was the Director of Engineering he was the Director of R&D so we worked very closely together on a lot of projects. I'm sure we were quite a sight when we traveled together to meetings, sort of like "Twins" (from the 1988 movie) as he is tall and slender, about 6-feet, 7-inches, and I am short and round, 5-foot, 6-inches. Last week we finally got together for lunch, the first time since COVID-19. Anyhow, we also happen to share the same favorite whisky, so I made a Jack Daniel's barrel stave pen to give to him the next time we get together for lunch. It is a Cigar style in an all Antique Brass and I finished it using my standard CA regemin. It is the most chatoyant piece of Oak I have ever seen. It is really too bad chatoyancy doesen't come through very well in photographs.

Regards - Dave

Glamor Shot (Thumbnail):
View attachment 326925

Technical Photos to show the different sides as it is rotated:
View attachment 326930
View attachment 326931
View attachment 326932
View attachment 326933
very nice, excellent choice of wood and pen kit, great job

RGVPens

What an awesome pen!! I've been wanting to do a "whiskey pen" but haven't tried it...yet. Love it with Antique Brass also, great choice!

Is the char deep enough to turn it as any other wood blank...or do you need to do something differently to get such a beautiful pen??

Top Bottom