Whisky Barrel Cigar all Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is an Oak Jack Daniels whisky barrel blank from Woodturningz with an "all brass" Antique Brass Cigar kit from Bear Tooth Woods. It's an OK pen, but certainly not my best work. I really struggled with the finish on this one. I used Bounty paper towels to apply the finish since my old stand by Viva Vantage was discontinued. I'm going to have to try something else as the medium CA just didn't go on as uniformly as usual which made sanding and micromesh to get the finish I was after much more problematic. I guess I will try to stick with Viva brand and see how their Multi Surface towels perform on the next one.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

IMG_1161 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1160 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1159 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

A lot of people use the blue shop towels to apply the CA finish. I tried some paper towels that I had around the house when I first tried doing CA finishes and notice that they would smoke when I applied the CA to the towel. I prefer to use the this craft foam that you can get from hobby stores and craft stores.

jttheclockman

Dave from the angle of your light source the finish looks thick and shiny. I think you did well with it. I too use the blue shop towels which are tough to find these days as well as the Viva ones without the pattern in them. I use those for polishing and need to find some. Thanks for showing.

Fine Engineer

I like how you were able to save some of the charred surface in this. This adds the contrast instead of the metal hardware doing it. Very nice combination.

As for the towels, I have had great results with the blue shop towels. I've seen them at Costco and also at several auto parts stores, if you need some other places to look for them.

I like the use the white t-shirt cutoffs. You can get bags of them fairly cheap at Lowe's in the paint section, don't get the ones from Home Depot's paint section as that fabric is REALLY course and rough. So shirt cutoffs Lowe's it good for polishing and finishing while Home Depot's are good for shop cleanup.

Top Bottom