Whiskey Barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

This was more of a "play around" project and see how it looks. I've bought a few distillery blanks over the years but never turned one. My recent project offered me the opportunity. The snow plow took out my house number post this past winter and the wife has been nice enough to remind me to replace it. I found a local guy who buys whiskey barrels from Jack Daniels and thought I would reinforce the post, leaving me with a few blanks.

I thought I would leave the pen shaped similar to the original barrel and paint a couple straps on it. Then I decided to make a water slide decal of the barrel stamp and apply it to the pen. After sealing it with Gluboost I sanded it down to a rustic dull finish and fit it on a copper Sierra. Thankfully the post out front looks better than the pen.

CAF58FFD-634C-4F18-98EC-EE35FA48956A.jpeg456BE53D-3233-432E-9BBB-643EE3BC931B.jpegE07ED8FC-3DEB-4843-A4BC-4D159A9926B3.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I love the rustic look of the pen. I probably would have burned the straps in, but it's still really cool. I wonder how lead strips would work or react with the CA?

Th post in the barrel looks nice, too, but what I'm wondering is who came up with that inventive street name? 😜

JohnU

I thought about copper tape but settled with paint. Lol.
The road names can sound weird but are actually all coordinated numbers on a grid with the location of the roads starting at the bottom of the county and counting up as you go north and east. So I'm almost 17 1/3 miles east of the west county line and 25 1/4 miles north of the county base line. Most people who live here don't understand it either but 27 years patrolling the county and I just got used to it. Eventually you didn't even need a map and this county is just under 1200 sq miles.

The definitely help the Amazon driver find the right house. Lol

greenacres2

That's a big county John. We use a similar system, but starts at the center of the county and adds direction to the addresses, so 3500 East 200 South is 3.5 miles east and 2 miles south of the center of the county. Twenty years of volunteer fire—easy in the middle of the night!! Relatively speaking, of course.
Thanks for your service!

Drewby108

I just emailed a local whiskey distillery to see if they sell staves because I think this is a really cool idea and would love to do a similar pen.

Top Bottom