Whiskey barrel oak keeps splittering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JackLong

My son's just started pen turning and we picked up a whiskey barrel lid. Cut up into 1x1 blanks. All was well drilling and gluing in tube. But turning down when about 85% there the wood starts splittering.

Just did a few zebra wood WallStreet II and didn't have any trouble.

He says tools nice and sharp (hss) but not sure what's going on. Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Jack

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JackLong

Update... After saving the tube the next turn came out good. Maybe a bad place in the blank. I'm not sure.

Either way he is enjoying learning to turn.

Jack
05de176da491d7e071118a21528dbdea.jpg

KenB259

It looks like it is white oak, my experience white oak turns like crap. I tried it a couple of times and really didn't ever have much success. Not saying it can't be done. Glad your son is enjoying turning.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Gary Beasley

Be sure you glue it good to the tube. Poor wood is more liable to splinter off if theres gaps in the glue. Might also try coating the inside of the blank with thin CA then cleaning it up by running the drill back through before putting the tube in.

JackLong

White oak yes. Jack Daniels barrel wood specifically. He's got some bloodwood due in this maybe tomorrow to do one for his brother.

JackLong

Be sure you glue it good to the tube. Poor wood is more liable to splinter off if theres gaps in the glue. Might also try coating the inside of the blank with thin CA then cleaning it up by running the drill back through before putting the tube in.
Good idea I'll pass it on

KenB259

White oak yes. Jack Daniels barrel wood specifically. He's got some bloodwood due in this maybe tomorrow to do one for his brother.

Bloodwood turns and finishes like a dream. After the finishing , many times, it almost looks 3D. If you want to see something interesting, look up a video of them harvesting bloodwood, you'll see why it got its name.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom