Which pen blanks drilling vise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Get a bolt with the same size of the threads on your 4 jaw chuck. A piece of 2x10. Drill a hike for the bolt and a counter sunk area for the head of the bolt so that you can screw the chuck onto the bolt. Close the chuck jaws and center on the table, drill holes to bolt the 2x10 to the drill press table.

Using a self centering chuck on the drill press is easy, the pain is having to align it and bolt the board down every time you need to drill blanks. That is where planning advance pen work comes into play, project what you need and drill a bunch of blanks at one time.

TonyL

Thank you. It said Out of Stock when I checked; I even signed-up to notify me when available. I will go in now and purchase. Thank you.

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I own the PH Designs (and love it). What is the best way to secure it to my drill press table. (yes, I still drill on my lathe...so I know about that)? I simply want to know what types of clamps or devices that you use to secure the blank drilling vice to the drill press table. Thank you!

longbeard

Your drill press table should have slots in it.
I used carriage bolts with a wing nut. Only need 1 maybe 2 bolts really to hold the vise in place.

Harry

Last edited:

shastastan

Hi Tony. I bought a cheaper one and never could get a straight hole with it. I got a new chuck with bearings and changed out the belts to link belts thinking the problem was run out from the drill press. I tried shims, new bits and other stuff and finally gave up on the dp. I bought one of those pen drilling chucks from PSI and started drilling on the lathe. It worked okay, but only if the blank was perfectly square. which makes sense. I have a Vicmarc chuck and got a set of pen jaws. That's all I use now for perfectly centered holes every time. Hope you quality jaws work well.

PenPal

Tony I prefer an X Y Axis drill vice been using mine for a great many years I fitted two prismatic jaws that allow me to easily grip any shape blank I cut a lot of burl to follow the grain. Enclosed some old pics. Prismatic jaws from Grizzly.

Peter.

Attachments

• Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    Grizzly Supplied Prismatic Jaw-001.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0004-104.JPG
    DSCF0004-104.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 234
  • A Drilling Vice 448x336.JPG
    A Drilling Vice 448x336.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

TonyL

Tony I prefer an X Y Axis drill vice been using mine for a great many years I fitted two prismatic jaws that allow me to easily grip any shape blank I cut a lot of burl to follow the grain. Enclosed some old pics. Prismatic jaws from Grizzly.

Peter.

That is a great find. Thanks!

Top Bottom