Which of these scrapers...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Getting ready to drop some $$ on my first set of wood turning tools and I've got everything figured out except my scraper. I'm primarily interested in turning bowls and could use some advice on which one of these three I should get.

In order, the below pictures are:

1) Hurricane M2 Cryo 1" (x3/8") Heavy Duty Bowl Finishing Scraper....$114
2) Hurricane M42 Cryo 3/4" Bowl Finishing Scraper .......................................$82
3) Hurricane M2 Cryo 1" Round Nose Scraper ....................................................$76

At first I was thinking of getting the cheaper 1" round nose and grind / sharpen so that it has the profile of a bowl scraper. Is it ok to do this, or should I go for one of the other tools that are actual bowl scrapers? And if so, what's the advantage / functionality of the heavy duty scraper vs. the smaller 3/4" one?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If you become a serious turner, you will eventually own both a bowl scraper and a round-nose scraper - and likely more than one of each. (Turners tend to be 'tool junkies'.)

Rather than commenting on the specifics of the tools you mention, all I will say is that you will be happier with the performance of heavy scrapers - light scrapers can vibrate, but a thick hunk of metal won't. Also, you may find yourself eventually either modifying standard scrapers to have a negative rake, or buying negative rake scrapers. Yes, standard (flat top) scrapers can be used in the handle-up position to achieve the same result as a negative rake scraper, but with a negative rake scraper you have the flexibility to work with various handle positions - from absolutely horizontal to slightly elevated or even handle slightly down.

Finally, I don't have a problem with the concept of modifying the grind of a tool to achieve an objective that is different from its original design, but it kinda bothers me to think about buy a new (and rather expensive) tool knowing that it's not what you want and knowing that you will be regrinding it. If the tool that you want is available, it makes more sense to me to buy that tool than it does to buy something you don't want with the expectation that you will modify it to meet your needs.

Dehn0045

I would recommend two different approaches:

1.) Buy a cheap set with various sizes (preferably used, I got a set of 3 for $25, they are the el cheapo hurricanes but I don't do much bowl turning), alternatively borrow some from a fellow turner. Figure out what you like (width, thickness, length) then upgrade after you have an idea about your personal preferences.

2.) Buy the best steel you can find. I would argue that when using a sharp tool there is little difference between the cheap and expensive, it is the amount of time that you can turn between sharpening where the money is made (or spent). I have heard good things about Thompson turning tools, but never used them personally. IMHO the steel used by hurricane is sub standard. That said, most of my tools are hurricane, because they used to be super cheap (and are more available used). The M42 tool seems like it would probably be better, but I sort of question the quality standards of hurricane.

I wouldn't worry about grind/shape, you'll probably want to change it to some extent anyway.

NJturner

Some great advise already given in comments above - especially if you have the ability to try something before buying, its the way to go. I like heavy tools due to the lesser vibration when turning. Less tiring for the hands. I am also a big fan of Thompson Tools over others - they are hard and strike a nice solid edge. Not a big fan of Hurricane - had one and sold it because I was not impressed.

Thanks so much for the advice everybody. I've had other recommendations for Thompson Tools as well so I sent Doug an email and learned his 10% Vandium steel is probably much better wearing than Hurricane M2's 2%.

Also had recommendations for D-Way. Any idea how Thompson's steel would compare to D-Way?

Dehn0045

I have not read any reviews or recommendations for D-way tools, but they seem just fine. As for steel comparison, I'm no material scientist, but both appear to be high performance tool steel alloys. The heat treatment process is probably more important than the different grades of steel, M42 vs A11. It looks like both companies use extensive heat treatment and tempering processes. I'd say it is probably a coin flip, but Thompson is the the one that I have heard most recommended so that is probably who I'd go with if I had the spare coins in my piggy bank.

Top Bottom