Which lathe to get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ShallowJam

I'm trying to find a good used lathe and I think I may have found one but I'm not sure if the price is right. Its a Jet Mini Lathe: JML-1014VS. The seller is including "a 4 jaw chuck, chisels, adapters, drill chuck, drive center, etc. and misc blanks". The price is $300 CAD. This would be my first lathe, and I would still need to buy a collet chuck, taps/dies, and probably a live center (not sure if it has one) and maybe a dead center. So there is still some investment left to be made, but I was wondering if the accessories included make this a good bargain.
It seems to be in decent condition.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I'm trying to find a good used lathe and I think I may have found one but I'm not sure if the price is right. Its a Jet Mini Lathe: JML-1014VS. The seller is including "a 4 jaw chuck, chisels, adapters, drill chuck, drive center, etc. and misc blanks". The price is $300 CAD. This would be my first lathe, and I would still need to buy a collet chuck, taps/dies, and probably a live center (not sure if it has one) and maybe a dead center. So there is still some investment left to be made, but I was wondering if the accessories included make this a good bargain.
It seems to be in decent condition.

Depending on the quality of the equipment included with it, I would quess you have between $100.00 to $150. , or more in accessories. If it comes with a stand, that's even better. Sounds like a very good deal. Ask to see and hear it run to make sure nothing is bent, or the bearings aren't getting bad. Jim S

Last edited:

longbeard

I agree with Jim, bearings are not a deal breaker though for me, depending on the rest of the lathe. Also make sure the points line up.

ashaw

First what are you going to use the lathe for. Are you planning to use it for Bowls and other woodworking projects. If you are using it just for pens. I would look at a metal lathe. Also look at PSI Lathes.

ShallowJam

I plan to primarily use it for pens. There is a possibility that I might try bowls or chess pieces. My main reason for shying away from a metal lathe is price - I have only seen ones that are twice as expensive as the wood lathes I've seen.

Tim'sTurnings

It looks like a good deal as long as it runs and sounds good. You can do small bowls and is a great pen turning lathe. I have had one for 11 years and have had no problems with it. Mine wasn't a VS but I bought a VS motor conversion and it is now much better. I would get it if I were you. (It might not hurt to offer a little less to see if they would haggle though.)
Tim.

ShallowJam

He said that upon reevaluating all that he's selling (which he values at over $1000) he is raising the price to $400, but he'll honour the $300 for me, so I think haggling is out of the question.

I don't see how this is worth $1000 even brand new with the accessories, unless there is something major he hasn't mentioned, or if its a great set of chisels or something...

any idea what he means by adapters?

Tim'sTurnings

Usually chucks are made to accept "adapters" so they can fit different sized lathe spindles. He probably has at least one adapter for the chuck he is including in the sale so it will fit the tpi of the jet lathe. JMO.
Tim.

ashaw

New the jet retails for $539.00 . You have to find out what his is truly selling. How many hours is on the lathe? Does it come with a stand? Have no idea as to adapters unless the head stock is different from new.

Dan Masshardt

He said that upon reevaluating all that he's selling (which he values at over $1000) he is raising the price to $400, but he'll honour the $300 for me, so I think haggling is out of the question.

I don't see how this is worth $1000 even brand new with the accessories, unless there is something major he hasn't mentioned, or if its a great set of chisels or something...

any idea what he means by adapters?

As we all know, the little stuff adds up Quickly!

If the chuck is decent like a nova, that's $100 value.

If the turning tools would be from Sheffield England, you are at $1000 new pretty quick in total.

Either way, sounds like a good buy to me.

kovalcik

Be a little bit careful. I am pretty sure Jet had a 1014VS and 1014EVS. The VS changed speeds manually with belts only. The EVS had electronic variable speed control. The VS cost considerably less than the EVS. The newer Jet versions go by VSI and I with the VSI equivalent to the old EVS model and the I to the old VS. The VS is still a good lathe, just make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

I **might** be confusing the 1014 naming with their larger lathe naming schemes. I will check when I get home tonight. I have the 1014 with electronic spped control and like it a lot.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Be a little bit careful. I am pretty sure Jet had a 1014VS and 1014EVS. The VS changed speeds manually with belts only. The EVS had electronic variable speed control. The VS cost considerably less than the EVS. The newer Jet versions go by VSI and I with the VSI equivalent to the old EVS model and the I to the old VS. The VS is still a good lathe, just make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

I **might** be confusing the 1014 naming with their larger lathe naming schemes. I will check when I get home tonight. I have the 1014 with electronic spped control and like it a lot.

If it has the black control box off the left side in a picture, it should be the right one.

KenV

I have one of those -- the cost new (on sale) was 359 -- It is the VS (variable speed) with the black box on the left hand end with a speed dial.

Very functional 10 inch capacity and 14 inch long --

Not a huge amount of power -- but enough for most every thing. Three speed wheels to change the belt - but I rarely change.

sounds like a good price, but you never know if you have $250 in your pocket and are willing to walk away without it.

Sataro

Sounds like a good deal to me. I just sold the same lathe at the start of summer for $300. I did include a stand for it.

Loon-A-See

Hi Guys!

I was in the Woodcraft store in Seattle, this past Sunday (2 days ago.) I was the only customer in the store so I got to spend over an hour with one of their pen experts.

I was originally looking at acquiring the same lathe. I was shown some of the drawbacks to it. First, if you have large hands and fingers, you'll have difficulty changing the belt and settings. Maybe you've already looked at those & it won't be a problem?

Secondly, he said that it won't be long until you'll want to upgrade from a mini to a midi, even while still turning relatively small objects. He recommended the Delta 46-460, which is $700, but is a midi and has larger access to the belt and speeds.

Considering that the Jet retails at WC for $589 in Seattle, plus the tools, $300 sounds very economical, so long as the lathe works properly and the tools are in good condition.

I'm new to turning myself, so this is all overwhelming, and exhilerating at the same time! I've been an amateur photographer since 1978...not a cheap hobby; neither is turning, from the looks of it. On the other hand, if you're really passionate about a hobby, etc., I've always subscribed to buying the best possible equipment that one can afford, as it really pays off for one's pleasure and advancement.

Have fun! Wishing you the best of success!

Maria
aka Loon-A-See

Dan Masshardt

Depends what you want to turn. For pens only the mini is what you need. Remember EVS means very few belt changes.

I bought the bigger 1226 but my plans are bigger than just pens.

I you have cart Blanche, get the best of everything. Lol. If you have to pay, the situation changes.

Keep in mind - what is you don't like turning or stick at it? You don need to start huge. Pay your dues.

Top Bottom