Which Jet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

It seems that the answer is evident. If the money is not the consideration go with a bigger lathe. You will not outgrow it nearly as fast. Having my Jet mini for one year I am already upgrading to a bigger lathe. I will keep the mini even when the new machine arrives, it is great machine. That said, if you know or even think you may upgrade later and don't have the room for two full size lathes a mini would be a good choice now. If his will be the only lathe then definately go with the 1236. You can always turn small on a big lathe but you can't go the other way.

Dario

Bryan,

I own a 1236 and very happy with it. I am planning on buying a backup/remote lathe and it will (most likely) be a Jet mini VS.

If you are planning on buying another later... I will advise you to get the mini for now then when you upgrade....buy a bigger lathe than just a 1236.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The 1236 was the lathe I picked and have not been sorry... of course one of these days I will upgrade.. hopefully to a Powermatic 20" lathe.. IF SWHTM let's me... [:p][:p]

chigdon

I think it depends on what direction with turning you think you will go. I started with a Jet Mini and now own a Jet 1642 also. I will never get rid of my mini though. If you think you will get into large bowls or platters, etc. you would eventually outgrow the 1236 and most shops won't accomodate 2 large lathes but will one large and one mini. I think if you will primarily turn pens and small pieces then the 1236 will let you turn bigger pieces and is the way to go. Just a thought.

I own a 1236, It's a good starting lathe. Legs are flimsy and needs to be beefed up if you are planning to do bowls. I also added about 100# of ballist.

As soon as I make the room and get more power into my shop I plan on getting a PM3520B and keep the 1236

Randy_

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Bigger is always better. You can grow more with the 1236.

Not if you have a shop that is little bigger than a "doghouse" !!
rofl3.gif

dpstudios

Big lathes are fun & scary at the same time. At this time I have 3 lathes. A Jet mini VS, an old Nova comet that I upgraded to a VS (my demo lathe) & the beast a General 20" that unfortunately had its electronics fried by Katrina. I like turning on the small ones, but I sure do miss chucking up a 70# chunk of walnut & watching the shavings fly.
Whatever you get, enjoy!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom