Which Is The Big Fish ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

This is my first thread posting since the new forum software was launched. . Hope everything works out ok.
Used a couple of Kallenshaan Salmon kits. . They are separated by an Aero pen dressed in vintage cellulose acetate.
The lower salmon is on a Sierra Click (black titanium and titanium gold).
The upper salmon is on an Aero (black titanium and titanium gold).
The same salmon kits were used for both the Sierra Click and the Aero.
The Sierra brass tube is 27/64" whereas the Aero brass tube is only 23/64".
This means, that for the Aero pen, I had to plug the hole in the blank with a wood dowel of the right size and then redrill the dowel to 23/64".
For the Aero pen, the blank length had to be shortened as well. . After doing this, you may get the illusion that one fish is longer than the other.
Assembling Kallenshaan kits is more fun than making a jigsaw puzzle, and the results are far more rewarding.
Both salmon pens were finished with CA. . Hope you like them ... I do !!

Attachments

• IMG_1152CR.JPG
    IMG_1152CR.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Very nice indeed. I prefer the Aero myself if given the choice. ( I don't think it's available in UK )
Good job and very neat work

Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
All three look excellent Mal. Sheesh, plugging and redrilling??? You do like to make things difficult - LOL.

And the photo is wonderful.

Very nice.

magpens

All three look excellent Mal. Sheesh, plugging and redrilling??? You do like to make things difficult - LOL.

And the photo is wonderful.

Very nice.

Hey Mark, . Thank you ! :) . It is NOT difficult, and it IS necessary ... or do you have a cleverer way to center a 23/64" tube in a 27/64" hole . :) :) o_O
Knowing your innovative skills a little bit, you probably do ..;);)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Mark, . Thank you ! :) . It is NOT difficult, and it IS necessary ... or do you have a cleverer way to center a 23/64" tube in a 27/64" hole . :) :) o_O
Knowing your innovative skills a little bit, you probably do ..;);)

Just poking you Mal. No - your way works fine; I'd have gone simple and used the smaller dimension kit. But I do like your method.

magpens

@mark james
Just poking you Mal. No - your way works fine; I'd have gone simple and used the smaller dimension kit. But I do like your method.

Mark, I know you were just poking. :) :)

And there is no smaller dimension Kallenshaan kit ... unless you mean the one designed for the "largish" PSI Fly FIshing pen.
That one has a 3/8" hole, but I fear that the actual fish image on it is not appropriately sized for the Aero pen kit which I wanted to use.
Besides, a 3/8" hole is 0.375" and for the Aero tube I need a hole size of 23/64" = 0.359" ... that would be quite sloppy and would also require some "shimming" using a dowel and redrilling just like I did.

Sly Dog

Beautiful pens! Are cellulose acetate blanks hard to find? I don't readily see them in the US, but haven't put in a diligent search yet.

The Kallenshaan salmon look terrific. I've tried 3 K blanks with mixed results - 2 were a lot of fun but the Lighthouse blank drove me crazy with those tiny windows that I couldn't seem to handle with tweezers. I was on my belly looking for them on the shop floor more times than I care to admit.

magpens

@Sly Dog
Thank you Russ. Cellulose acetate blanks aren't readily available. You have to find someone who has some and is willing to sell. Doesn't happen often.
As for the K blanks, you definitely need patience and lots of it. For the small pieces, a straight pin is better than tweezers ... don't worry about the pin prick marks as they will turn off. I do the assembly in the well-lit kitchen on a large aluminum tray with nothing else on it besides the pieces being assembled. My shop is certainly not the place to do it ... I often can't even find the chuck key for my lathe ... and tiny bits of wood are everywhere so how would I find a dropped K piece !!

Top Bottom