Which casting stuff from Hobby Lobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

I was hoping I could find a box with Cactus tex's pen on it, but no avail. I'm thinking I would like to try alumalite first, and then a similar 41 type of product.

Would one of you fine more experienced fellows mind telling a newbie what I'm dealing with here in casting types with the products I can pick up from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon? I think these are all just a clear PR type casting, but the epoxy label on one set is throwing me off!

casting_resin-1.jpg

casting_resin-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

If you have a michaels close by you can get 32 oz size for 2 dollars more. They also have 40% off coupons. So basically for the same price you get twice as much.

juteck

The can on the left side of the bottom photo is polyester resin (PR), and has the activator in the package. I'm just starting out as well, and have started with this just to see if I'll catch the "casting bug"! If I do, I'll explore other options for cheaper supplies.

Here's the current 40% off coupon:
http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/dynamic/_weekly.coupon/2011_24_coupon.gif

and the image of the coupon (from the link above):

2011_24_coupon.gif

Last edited:

navycop

I have had good results with the castn craft clear (2nd picture far left). If you get some colored mica powder (also purchased at Michaels) your options are endless.
060511-5-25-400100075289-Digital-US-u.jpg

Last edited:

arw01

Thanks fellows. Now if you use a dye, you can get a solid color out of the casting resin correct? Then from there the pearls and micas open up the world of colors?

Alan

ke4vpn

This is a very good post, I have wondered about doing the same myself and had no idea how to start. Thanks for the information.

ke4vpn

Now this is really getting interesting, those powders look like they would work great. I have a great desire to start casting, just need to do some more research. Thanks again.

Top Bottom