which 4 jaw chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

I would like to get a 4 jaw chuck for my Midi lathe, new or used doesn't matter. What is a good 4 jaw chuck, do they really vary in quality that much?

Thanks,
D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

Check out the "special edition" Barracuda 2 on sale at PSI... It comes with a bunch of jaw sets and accessories, all in a moulded case, for under $200. AND it's a sexy colour.

I don't think you can beat this deal anywhere.

Cheers!

Gary

Dvoigt

Yeah I was looking at that one, I just try to avoid buying things just because they are shiny! I just didn't know if there were better/cheaper out there.

GaryMadore

Yeah I was looking at that one, I just try to avoid buying things just because they are shiny! I just didn't know if there were better/cheaper out there.

There are certainly cheaper ones out there, and an argument can be made for "better" ones too.

But I doubt that you'll find anything as good (in this case "good" means functional, complete, ready-to-go, handy, etc., etc.) that even comes close in price.

Sure, there are chucks machined to insanely close tolerances and that set the standard for super-duperness, but how much accuracy is enough?

I work in a world (military aviation) where we measure with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, and then cut it with an axe.

Question: Do we really need to be measuring with a micrometer? The answer is, of course, no. It's no different with a chuck: When you take all the other possible errors into account, I submit that paying 3 times the price in exchange for a guarantee of 0.00000126% better accuracy isn't a good exchange. YMMV.

Cheers!

Gary

pipeyeti

Haven't used the PSI chuck but I just got a nova g3 a few months ago. I also picked up a few sets of jaws for it and am very happy with it.

dogcatcher

I have the Barracuda2, it is used and used hard almost every day. I have no complaints for the cost it is one great bargain. I also have two of the higher dollar chucks, but for the dollar the Barracuda runs right along side of them.

Marvin

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have both the Barracuda and the Oneway Talon as well as the Nova. For the price you wont be disappointed with the Barracuda.

GaryMadore

I have both the Barracuda and the Oneway Talon as well as the Nova. For the price you wont be disappointed with the Barracuda.

If this man has a Talon (arguably the "best" chuck available, IMHO, of course) and says you'll like the Barracuda, that is a STRONG recommendation in my book.

Cheers!

Gary (from the Land of Oneway)

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
My only complaint to the PSI Barracude is the tommy bars to open/close the jaws.. next chuck will have the one handed key... otherwise, the PSI chucks work great. I have 3 of them and all work well.

Don't know what chuck you have, but mine uses the key, not tommy bars.

These are the two I have.. I have two of the first and one of the second..
The CSC2000 is referred to as a Barracuda, but I see that the recommendation was for the Barracudea2, which I see also uses the key.
I stand corrected.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC2000C.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C.html

And the little tommy bars that came with this one is a weak link...I've broken both and replaced with cut off screwdriver shafts...

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've got a G3 (had the nova 2) but couldn't resist the price on the Barracuda2 so I bought it.
Can't beat that price. Extra jaws .. and I think I even got a further
discount when I ordered it because it came up over some minimum..
ended up costing under $200 including the shipping.

Top Bottom