Where to source this burl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'd like to see if I can reproduce a wood and resin I've seen that starts out with some horse chestnut burl about 6" cubed. I've done a search for horse chestnut burl and the only thing that came up were veneers, so it's doubtful I'll be able to find some although I'd love to. So now that I'm thinking of what other type of wood to use I realize I don't know where to get burl in that size, regardless of species. Any of the places I'm familiar with sell it in varying sizes of slabs, but not usually more than 2 1/2" thick.

Where should I look to find burl this size?

burl.jpg

jrista

If you are looking for a 6x6" burl turning block, then you can get Mallee burl...oh, around that size. Its not super common, but it can be found. The local woodcraft store purchased a ton of mallee burl of all colors a while back. They actually still have a ton...its priced somewhat high, but its dens, full of eyes, and the pieces are often quite large. They definitely have some live burl edge turning squares in stock. Not sure if that was a national thing, or just something this one store did. Anyway, the mallee burl live edge usually looks just as you've pictured here.

Top Bottom