Where to get quality blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knightmedic

Hi, I'm relatively new to pen making and I was wondering where are some good places to source quality pen blanks. I have been looking for dyed and stabilized burl and have not been satisfied with what I have gotten from places like Penn State and Exotic blanks. I'm sure most of you have seen Silver Meister's videos on YouTube, I have yet to find anything as beautiful as the wood he uses to make his blanks from. Any suggestions as to where I can find high quality well made blanks or pieces to make blanks from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

If you are on Facebook, there are several private groups where you can find such blanks. Burls, Swirls & Curls (Jesse Ullrich Gilbert sells nice pieces and has a lot of inventory) is one, also What The Blank Auctions - Woodworking Supplies (I bought many pieces from Jason Geer). And probably others I'm not part of.
Most of the blanks are made for duck calls and such, they are typically 1.5"x1.5"x6" so that gets you 4 pen blanks per block :)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are looking for great wood, go to wood vendors. I have not used them, but I have seen many pens from Cook Woods and many others. Their inventory changes often--use google and browse their current offerings.

Exotics resells wood blanks from PSI and some others.

Our emphasis is on hand-made from several individuals and commercial acrylic and resin blanks at many price and quality levels---yes I have a preference for Italian acrylics, but not everyone wants higher quality accompanied by a higher price. We sell a tremendous number of "economy" pen blanks that make 'nice" (not exceptional) pens.

We try to please MOST of the people, as often as possible. Shop carefully and you can find material for exceptional pens, but the blanks are more expensive than our cheapest choices.

jttheclockman

I will say this. I recently last week bought a bunch of blanks through amazon and have to say they may not have been the cheepest but the quality was excellent and so much so I reordered. Many came from Woodturningz and they were museum grade. I do not mind paying a little extra if I get great product. The bog oak and walnut burl is some of the best I ever seen and so clean. Can not remember where I got the Gabon Ebony from but again top top top quality. I was tired of using my larger turning stock for pens so that is why I was looking for some smaller stuff. Highly recommend Woodturningz

https://www.woodturningz.com/Wood_Pen_Blanks.html

I have to chime in here. You REALLY CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EXOTIC BLANKS. Ed & Dawn do a remarkably good job of offering some of the best pen things around at excellent prices and the service is TOP NOTCH PLUS PLUS. I'm in mid-Michigan and they're in Wisconsin. On the map it looks close but there's this lake between us and that can make shipping iffy. Not for them. I've often been amazed at how they can get an order processed, shipped and delivered nearly the next day.
You really should give them a try
oh - and they send candy in the order, too.
Which I don't need.
But I "appreciate" it - if you know what I mean :D

jttheclockman

Here is the Gabon Ebony I talked about. at $3 a blank well worth it for this quality. Jet black with no streaks. There are from Globalwoods out of NY. Checked their web site and have some great looking stuff.

https://www.globalwoodsource.com/turning-blocks/

1613330160829.png

Last edited:

JohnU

I don't think it's fair to say "high quality" when what you're really looking for is "highly figured".... two different things. Like anything else, if your looking for specific, look at a place that carries specific. Exotic blanks and PSI have great stuff but if it's not "figured" enough, look around at place that only carry wood burl and highly figured wood blanks.

Fred Bruche

My recommendation was for "dyed and stabilized burl" blanks, here are pictures of a few blocks I bought from Jason Geer (the pen blanks are from a block I cut in 4, only 3 left). These seem to be the type of blanks Silver Meister is using for some pens. The wood is typically from burls, black ash, yellow cedar, amboyna sapwood, buckeye, for the most common ones. I have not found a commercial source for such blanks, but it's possible I haven't looked hard enough.

image1 (1).jpeg image0 (2).jpeg

jttheclockman

There is a group on face book that is auctions of woods. Sometimes you can run into some good deals. I got friendly with a member there and I was able to buy some absolutely beautiful museum grad Redwood burl that is extreme. It is basically a pool cue blank and would make a beautiful cue. It is too nice to cut up that I think I will just hang on the wall and stare at it. Just can not cut up for little pen blanks.

TonyL

Practically an infinite number of resources.

If you want to be able to call or email the vendor, in many cases, the owner, any of the IAP vendors or those where you communicate with someone who cares. I bought from FB when I wanted something unique and I couldn't get it find it anywhere else. I have found FB a little more expensive, but maybe because I could find the blanks anywhere else - more power to them.

If you don't need such guidance and you have the skills and experience to determine what is good quality or how something will turn, the sky's the limit. Same for pen kits.

Some of our vendors carry a large and varied inventory and aren't "afraid to break up a kit to send you a part), you can pay shipping once and get most from a single source.

I have brought from practically all of the above, and can determine quality.

Bob in SF

Tony - Ben Quenzer is here on the IAP forum - by the name "Benpen".

Here is one of my earlier posts showing a couple of his dyed maple burl blanks:

1624722889472.png

Warm regards to all - Bob

TonyL

View attachment 310558

Warm regards to all - B

View attachment 310558

Warm regards to all - Bob
Thank you Bob; i have purchased many of his dyed maple blanks. I didn't know his last name.

Top Bottom