Where to buy cheap dye?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Hey, I've been working with Transtint dyes, but at $6.50 per fluid ounce, it's killing me price wise.

Are there other alcohol soluble/based dyes out there that are cheaper?

Thanks for any info :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

badger

i have no idea if it would work, since i've never done any pen blank casting...

but what about leather dye?

just a thought.

badger

jttheclockman

I am going to try these mica powders. Can someone tell me any hints. Such as what ratio say to one ounce of resin??? Do you have to increase the catalyst when using these?? Any other hints are helpful. Are these transluscent or can you not see thru them??? Thanks

follow3

Hey Karl,

What are you trying to dye?

If you want a good liquid dye for wood or other materials, try.....
are you ready for this????

Bingo markers LOL :D [:eek:)]

I have used them in my shop for coloring wodd for a couple of years now. They are alcohol based (most of them...I think), dry fast, work well and you can mix them to make custom colors. They are available in a huge amount of colors and best of all...they are only about $2.00 for a 6 or 8 ounce bottle.

I have even used them along with pigment powder to color Polyester Resin for casting blanks. It works OK, but if you use too much, it takes a while to set up.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Narwhale

jttheclockman,
Not much to give you in the way of hints. I ordered white, black, and about 8 colors to start and they work great. They also have glitter stuff, the gold and the silver add a lot to some colors.
No need to add more catalist, I just mix the color with the resin, then add catilist to the mix.
The colors can be translucent if mied real light on the mica color, or if more coloring is added, it does block light and views thru to the tubeJust try a color or two and find out. that is the only way.
Rich s.

rdunn12

I use RIT dye in denatured alcohol.Just turn down to about 1/16 or so from the bushings,soak in dye and alcohol overnight pull em out and let them dry for a while it works fine.

Top Bottom