Where is he...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can search for him under "members list" at the top of the page and it will show his last visit. Nov 26th 2018

Bob Wemm

Hi Guys,
I'm still here, still breathing and still playing with wood.
I have had a lot of back and leg issues which are still plaguing me to some extent.
I've also lost the sight in my right eye, good one of course, so that has restricted me very much. The biggest problem is I cannot judge distance, so that is pretty scary using the lathe.
Also been spending a lot of time at our Men's Shed, vice chair and secretary takes up a lot of time.
Apart from all that I'm good.
Thanks for the concern.

Bob.

jttheclockman

Bob sorry for the setbacks you have encountered but seems like you are coping the best you can so please take care and do stop by and post something now and then. Always good to see the older members here hang around and chime in. Good luck as you move forward and be safe. Thanks for checking in. :):)

robutacion

Hi Bob,

Sorry to have bothered you with my email but I could see that there were a few of us that have been wondering what you have been up to and is with most sadness that I hear you saying about your health particularly your eye site, I always wondered, after so many time getting my eyes operated on to remove stuff that got stuck in there while working, more recently as a few weeks back and when I was trying to cast 320 knife handles, something got into my left eye that regardless of what and how many drops I would put on it, whatever was stuck was very hurtful so, I saw myself working on these blanks for about 2 weeks with one eye closed, the bandsaw work was where I notice the most difficulties because and as you said, you lose the coordination of distance and alignment to the blade and that is most dangerous but I managed to come out without a scratch, apart from a scratched eye.

On another hand, your presence and work at the Men's shed can only be a good thing, new people to teach and guide through the steps of the art, sometimes is OK to stop "doing" and help others doing stuff, you are no spring chicken, I forgot how old you would be now but I would say late 70's correct...?

And about your wife and her glass work, is she still up to it...?

Anyway, did you end up doing last years show...?

Best of luck for both of you.

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Hi Bob,

Sorry to have bothered you with my email but I could see that there were a few of us that have been wondering what you have been up to and is with most sadness that I hear you saying about your health particularly your eye site, I always wondered, after so many time getting my eyes operated on to remove stuff that got stuck in there while working, more recently as a few weeks back and when I was trying to cast 320 knife handles, something got into my left eye that regardless of what and how many drops I would put on it, whatever was stuck was very hurtful so, I saw myself working on these blanks for about 2 weeks with one eye closed, the bandsaw work was where I notice the most difficulties because and as you said, you lose the coordination of distance and alignment to the blade and that is most dangerous but I managed to come out without a scratch, apart from a scratched eye.

On another hand, your presence and work at the Men's shed can only be a good thing, new people to teach and guide through the steps of the art, sometimes is OK to stop "doing" and help others doing stuff, you are no spring chicken, I forgot how old you would be now but I would say late 70's correct...?

Cheers
George

Hi George,
Yes, its been a while. I'm at the mid 70's and feeling every day of it. As no doubt you are also.
The Men's Shed sure is fun and I spend way too much time there.
Betty and I are still doing glass and Yes, we did do the Club Exhibition this year. Sold a lot of stuff as well.
Sounds like you need better eye protection. I've only got One so I have to be real careful.

Cheers,
Bob.:wink:

OZturner

Great to hear that you are up and around, though a "Little the Worse for Wear" as we used to say.
I was sorry to hear about your Back and Leg problems, but it sounds that you are getting better with them.
The loss of your eye, and the difficulty with finding distance, is a real "Bummer".
if you were mainly turning between centers, then it isn't too dangerous by riding your tool on the bevel to find your starting position.
But unfortunately, your natural edge bowls are a different "Ball Game".
I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying your "Men's Shed" work, your experience will be invaluable to them.
Keep well my friend, and please let us know how things are going, you have a lot of friends who care.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

robutacion

Hi Bob,

Cheers
George

Hi George,
Yes, its been a while. I'm at the mid 70's and feeling every day of it. As no doubt you are also.
Betty and I are still doing glass and Yes, we did do the Club Exhibition this year. Sold a lot of stuff as well.
Sounds like you need better eye protection. I've only got One so I have to be real careful.

Cheers,

Hi Bob,

Glad that you didn't feel my "door knocking" too intrusive, in the IAP life there are times where certain members or certain subjects bring the place alive and enthusiastic, we both have been part of some of those moments, something that I'm sure, you get as much buzz as I do remembering them so is only normal that we miss some people every so often, the amount/number of new members coming through every day will themselves have their place at making memories among the IAP family.

Now, I have no recollection that you only had 1 eye, I know I'm very forgetful but, was I aware of this before...?:eek::confused:

As for that She-Oak pieces, they look magnificent, clean rays all though and the colour looks a little lighter to be from my stables, right...?

Best of luck and take care, my friend.

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Hi Bob,

Cheers
George

Hi George,

Cheers,

Hi Bob,

Glad that you didn't feel my "door knocking" too intrusive, in the IAP life there are times where certain members or certain subjects bring the place alive and enthusiastic, we both have been part of some of those moments, something that I'm sure, you get as much buzz as I do remembering them so is only normal that we miss some people every so often, the amount/number of new members coming through every day will themselves have their place at making memories among the IAP family.

Now, I have no recollection that you only had 1 eye, I know I'm very forgetful but, was I aware of this before...?:eek::confused:

As for that She-Oak pieces, they look magnificent, clean rays all though and the colour looks a little lighter to be from my stables, right...?

Best of luck and take care, my friend.

Cheers
George

No mate, you didn't know about my eye, it happened suddenly while we were driving home one morning after having a cuppa at the Café. No obvious reason, just a blockage at the back of the retina, nothing they can do about it.
I got that She-oak from the Perth Wood show, it originally came from Denmark.
Cheers,
Bob

sbwertz

Bob, I work with visually impaired turners all the time. You will learn to rely more on your sense of touch. I have completely blind turners who turn with very little assistance, but it will take some getting used to. One of my turners has lost an eye and has had to learn to deal with the lack of depth perception, too. (Funny story....he is losing the sight in his other eye due to macular degeneration, and applied to social security for disability. They denied him...told him in cases of macular degeneration in one eye they tell people to just put a patch over that eye. His other eye is glass!)

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for that encouragement. I am still turning and I guess that I will get used to my situation in time.
My biggest problem is the depth perception, but I can handle that.
Worst part of all this is it was my good eye.
The work you do with vision impaired people is fantastic, and I'm sure you will be rewarded.
Thanks again,
Bob

robutacion

No mate said:
I got that She-oak from the Perth Wood show, it originally came from Denmark.[/B]
Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

What a bummer about your good eye be lost in such a way, I feel sorry for you mate...!

I think you may need to let these good folks here know that the Denmark you are talking about is, in fact, the one that we have here in Australia, we a few towns named after some overseas countries, strange but true...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom