Where do you get your pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob A

While browsing through these threads I have been clicking on the links to some of the members websites. I have seen some awesome pens. Your work is incredible. But what really caught my eyes were the pen kits some of you are using. I have never seen them before. I have browsed the catalogs of Steebar, Bereah(sp?), Craft Supplies and others and not seen some of the pens some of you are turning.

Is there a secret place you get them?[:0] Please let me in on this. I'd be willing to learn the handshake, oath, etc...

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

It is much easier to try and identify a specific pen, or the remains of them. many of the really unrecognizable ones are custom alterations to the kits sold by the very companies you listed. others are alternative styles offered by them but not necessarily pictured and such. the rest require a very large donation of Blood or vital organs...just kidding.
their are some off the beaten path suppliers but I am not real familiar with them as I mostly use P.S.I. or CSUSA kits. with an occasional Berea just for a touch of class.
If you have a specific pen or two or twenty you just can't live without reproducing. put a link to it up here and my bet is the maker of it will be happy to give you specifics about it. if not the rest of this group should be able to get it figured out. I havn't found anyone that is offended about having their work copied. sort of a badge of honor in fact.

Julie

I get mine from www.pocwoodworking.com. Great customer service and you get you delivery fast.

http://pocwoodworking.com/catalog/

There kits are from PSI and Craft Supplies.

BubbaBob

I get all of my pen kits from Berea Hardwoods and have been well pleased with product quality, service, and pleasantness of staff. They make FAR more kits than shown on their web site. I would suggest you call them and ask for their (free) catalog.

Scott

There are basicly just three "makers" of pen kits in the US: Berea Hardwoods, Craft Supplies, and Penn State. Other vendors like HUT, Steebar and Packard just re-sell kits from these makers. I buy various kits from all three!

Like Daniel said, some of the pens you see are customizations. But just pick one out and ask! That's what we're here for - to share!

Scott.

Kurt Aebi

I haven't tried them yet, but www.woodturningz.com supposedly carries the exact kits as Penn State Industries at a much reduced price. I plan on obtaining my first sets from Penn State Ind. as part of a starter kit, but if I like them, I am going to give these guys a try.

Bob A

Thanks guys. I had heard in the past that there were only three companies making pen kits. When I get the time I will have to browse the sites again and ask the specific person about their pens.

Thanks again. Bob

Daniel

Originally posted by Kurt Aebi
<br />I haven't tried them yet, but www.woodturningz.com supposedly carries the exact kits as Penn State Industries at a much reduced price.
Woodturningz is a great way to order your kits. you can get P.S.I. and CSUSA Kits from their. I order almost all my kits from Ryan. the owner of Woodturningz. the discounted price is great, but I like the convenience of ordering from one location even more.

Scott

I also have to jump in here with a recommendation for Woodturningz! Ryan is just great to deal with! While there are just the three companies making pen kits, I believe the best value is from the re-sellers who are penturners themselves. Ryan is one of the best of these, but don't forget Bill Baumbeck with Arizona Silhouette and Pens Of Color! Support the people who care about our pens!

Scott.

Evan

Hi,

I second the recommendation for Ryan at woodturningz. Ordered quite a big package from him and am waiting for it to arrive (shipped this week). Can order kits from PSI and Craft Supplies (woodturner's catalog). Excellent communication.

Evan

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Bob,
There are a lot of pencrafters who are making cuctom pens from plain kits. If you go to my website that is linked in the signature line below this message, you will find instructions for making four different pens from the basic Slim-Line pen kit.

Bob A

Russ thanks a bunch. I have saved your site in my favs. I especially like the fat line. Those will be a real money saver. It's funny, after reading how you do it, it all became so simple. Like, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks again. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom