Where can I get blanks stabilized

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimr

I am not to the point of stabilizing my own blanks but I would like to get some of my local wood blanks stabilized. Anyone have any suggestions on the best place, quality and price, to send off for some stabilizing.

Jim R

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

These folks do exactly what they say they will do for you. Knowledgeable, experienced, trustworthy, and very dependable. ... http://www.stabilizedwood.com/info.shtml

Call them, or write to them. List what woods you want to have stabilized and they will tell you if it can be done with success. Many woods are not candidates for stabilization and this is one source that will be right up front with you.

May I make a suggestion to save you a bit of money as the stabilization process is based on finished product weight... Pre-turn to round but allow a bit of room to dress the blank after you get it back. Pre-drill the tube hole using a smaller bit than the tube, again allowing you to re-drill after stabilization. Just make the blank as light as possible prior to sending it out for the processing. The blanks definitely take on weight during the process and why should you get an entire blank done and then cut a lot of it away?

I have had quite a bit of woods done by them and I have never had any problems with their processes. :D

Top Bottom