What's your favorite kit to make?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

It's been awhile since anyone asked, so it must be my turn.

What's your favorite kit to make & why?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I would give two different answers.

Favorite to look at and hold: the JR Statesman- just a classy pen all around.

Favorite because they sell well: cigar and Sierra styles.

gtriever

I have to break it down into categories.

Ballpoint : Elegant Sierra
Rollerball : Baron or Jr. George
Fountain Pen : Mistral
Pencil : Mistral

Chief TomaToe

As a newer pen turner, I really like the Vertex kit. It's a single tube design, so it's a quick turn. Also, the tube sits below the end caps by design, so as long as you get down to the bushings it's virtually impossible to mess up. It's a very high quality kit that a beginner can complete. But the best part is the magnetic cap - it's very satisfying!

Woodchipper

Hard to say. I try to match the wood, light or dark, with the kit finish. I am looking at building a bunch of Slim Line pens and, with the wife's help, try to get away from the plain vanilla with no whipped cream and cherry on top. To answer your question/poll, I do like the looks of the lever action pen.

Rounder

I like the long clicker. Lots of space to show off the wood or acrylic. Comfortable to hold. Nice click mechanism.

Herb G

I forgot to answer myself. I like the Gatsby /Sierra / Mesa type pens.
Even though they are basically the same pen kit, it takes a keen eye to turn & sand the blank down to meet the bushings just right.

TonyL

Jr George (classy) and the Executive (long body, reliable, inexpensive), aero twist,is great for cut offs, professor - long body, meaty.

Favorites to make, Knurl GT and Vertex Magnetic as far as just being absolutely solid pens. The feel and the weight, they just feel solid to me.
Favorites to make, then sell, Caballero and Bolt actions. They sell almost as fast as I can make them. There are many more that are just as fun to make.

TurnKC

I'm new to turning so am amazed at all the kit names I haven't heard of before. Will be looking a lot of these up, thank you everyone!

As for me right now, I'm really liking the Majestic Squire from PSI. But I've only turned a few other kits so far. Much to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More4dan

Majestic Squire and Majestic Jr are my go to for nice pens. I also like the Deco (Harold twist) with a long single tube for showing off the blank.

I did a lot of magnetic Graduates my first year in rollerball and fountain.

BUT my favorite is no kit at all.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Darley

Too many to cites here but have a love for Click pen kits so I like the Sierra click but found the Tempest from Beaufort ink from England to have the best click mechanism , this is strictly my personal opinion

Attachments

• 5F7A3272-5A22-4312-A949-031A670BBD52.jpg
    5F7A3272-5A22-4312-A949-031A670BBD52.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 126

baumer64

I'm new to pen turning this year but my favorite pens have been the .30 Cal. Bullet pens, the Compson and the Slimline Pro.

WriteON

30 cal lever bolt from PSI is still my all time fave.
Knurl GT
Vertex
Gear
Spartan
Civil War
Majestic Squire, Broadwell Nouveau..... I love these 2 pens.
Almost every single barrel novelty pen from PSI...

Last edited:

Shock me

View in Gallery

Surely I'm a minority of one, but my favorite is the much disrespected eurostyle. But I only like it in the rhodium plating with the improved band. This isn't a particularly good picture, just a quick iphone shot of the pen that randomly happens to be in my pocket...

Last edited:

greenacres2

Tough question. Depending on the blank--Rinehart, Sedona, Caballero or Jr Retro. For a ballpoint--personal favorite is Atlas/Patriot/Polaris.

If i need a quick fix--Bolt Action is a fast turn and assembly, but for the most part i'm not a fan of the special themes.

earl

Top Bottom