What's wrong with my label casting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gralli

Set up: HPM283fdw Color Laser Printer, Onlinelabels Weatherproof Polyester Laser sheets, 600dpi, printing on label paper selected, brass tube, Alumilite Clear

Issue: Everything turns out fine up until I finish the pen. It seems the heat generated with sanding/buffing is causing an issue with the toner. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. The blue should be solid, but you can see it is distressed (while cool, not my desired look) where it should be solid. Before sanding/polishing, there is no issue with the color.

I've tried making this particular label several times and, believe it or not, this is my best effort to date. Also, no matter how I finish my Alumilite Clear label castings, they always turn out dull. Nice and smooth, but no sheen that I've come to know and love from my other blanks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

JimmyPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kronewi

I haven't tried this yet but I have read a bit about it on this site. You might verify if the labels you bought are for laser or inkjets. Most of the posts all talk about inkjet labels.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Gralli

Thanks for replying Kevin, but I am using weatherproof polyester laser labels specifically for laser printers. I'm hoping this technique can be accomplished by using a laser printer.

Fred Bruche

Have you tried wet sanding? That should eliminate possible heat issues.
Or you could stop sanding and let the heat dissipate when you feel the blank is getting hot?

Cwalker935

Could the discoloration occur when you are trimming the barrel? If not, you might try sealing the ends with CA before turning and finishing.

Gralli

Have you tried wet sanding? That should eliminate possible heat issues.
Or you could stop sanding and let the heat dissipate when you feel the blank is getting hot?
I have, but it caused other issues with moisture. Gonna try CWalker's suggestion and sealing the end of the tubes prior to finishing.

Gralli

Could the discoloration occur when you are trimming the barrel? If not, you might try sealing the ends with CA before turning and finishing.
No, my only issue comes in when finishing the pen. I tried wet sanding, but without sealing the ends. Thanks for the feedback as it might help with the other issue I was having!

Gralli

Switch to ink jet printer. Just saying. Youre not the first to experience problems with laser printer printed labels.

Virgil, thanks for the reply. Right now I refuse to believe that laser printers are non-usable. I know inkjet printers are pretty cheap, but I'm hard headed and want to figure this out for the next poor bloke that has this issue. :)

Brian G

Laser printers "melt" toner powder to the paper; inkjet sprays ink. I speculate the heat from resin cure affects the layer of melted toner powder on the surface of the label. That becomes more evident the closer to final dimension and higher polish.

If you're generating enough heat during sanding and polishing to cause that, you need to reassess your sanding and polishing technique.

The white circle near the end looks like a stress ring from the tight fitting component.

Gralli

I 2nd the laser printer issue. I had the same exact issue when I started down this road. Switched to inkjet and never another issue.
Ya I read your thread and was deflated that you found no answer. I might go inkjet down the road, but would live to get laser working.

Gralli

Laser printers "melt" toner powder to the paper; inkjet sprays ink. I speculate the heat from resin cure affects the layer of melted toner powder on the surface of the label. That becomes more evident the closer to final dimension and higher polish.

If you're generating enough heat during sanding and polishing to cause that, you need to reassess your sanding and polishing technique.

The white circle near the end looks like a stress ring from the tight fitting component.
Brian, you hit the nail on the head. I'm gonna try a few techniques in printing as well as sealing before resin. I'm going to seal off end of tubes and so wet sand as well. I'll keep everyone posted.

Top Bottom