What's up with these blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

millarde

A new one on me. Bought someone's cache of pen stuff and these were with the blanks. Seems to be dipped? But has to be a bit more than that or all of the color would get turned away. I figure someone here knows what is going on... TIA
unusual-pen-blank.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I tend to agree with the previous responses.
A view of the end grain would be helpful.
Also... have you tried scraping the black off?

millarde

Y'all seem to be right. I've seen a lot of wood and heartwood/sapwood, but not this before. Coolio. Looking forward to see what it looks like turned.

jttheclockman

That is probably just the way they cut those blanks from whatever board they had. But what stands out to me is what in the world did they cut the blanks with?? Did they use a machete? I have seen rough sawn lumber with smoother cut lines.

jrista

Looks like African Blackwood, heart and sap. The heartwood (black) will likely be denser
Agreed. The sapwood is pretty thin on these trees, and usually these kinds of blanks wouldn't be sold for pens. They are normally dead black.

I doubt that the black is some kind of resin added, though...based on the picture, it looks like it has a grain. Blackwood, like Ebony, is very very dense wood, and it feels quite different from other hardwoods with more "normal" densities. Its also got kind of a ring to it, which is what makes such good woodwind instruments. I guess you could use that as a bit of a test...tap the black parts of two blanks together. You should hear that it sounds different, higher pitched, than other woods, or the sapwood when tapped together. That might be a telling factor whether its real or not.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Wow, some of your computer screens might need adjusting, or mine. I have never seen blue heartwood. Doesn't look black to me. Looks like they dipped it in two different colors of blue paint - light blue and midnight dark blue.

jrista

Wow, some of your computer screens might need adjusting, or mine. I have never seen blue heartwood. Doesn't look black to me. Looks like they dipped it in two different colors of blue paint - light blue and midnight dark blue.
I think that is a matter of light color and white balance of the photo, more than the wood actually being blue. It looks like the blanks are lit by a fairly "blue-white" light, probably something 6500K or maybe even 9000K (kelvin) white point temperature. If the photo wasn't white balanced properly, then black will show up a bit "blue".

Look through the blue cast, and you can see the wood grain. Its dark blackish and a very slightly lighter brown color. If the white was balanced, I think it would look how you would expect it to, although with the saw marks in the wood like that, its scattering a lot of light, so its tough to see the underlying grain regardless.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think that is a matter of light color and white balance of the photo, more than the wood actually being blue. It looks like the blanks are lit by a fairly "blue-white" light, probably something 6500K or maybe even 9000K (kelvin) white point temperature. If the photo wasn't white balanced properly, then black will show up a bit "blue".

Look through the blue cast, and you can see the wood grain. Its dark blackish and a very slightly lighter brown color. If the white was balanced, I think it would look how you would expect it to, although with the saw marks in the wood like that, its scattering a lot of light, so its tough to see the underlying grain regardless.
The lighting did not alter the pine colors of the background.

jrista

The lighting did not alter the pine colors of the background.
I think it did. The whole image has a "cool" color temp. I'm using a wide gamut screen, and if it was blue, it would be particularly blue on this screen. It really looks like the photo was taken with a fairly cool light source, probably something around 6500K or so. There also DOES appear to be wood grain, which is more noticeable in the right hand blank that is vertical. If this was resin, I wouldn't expect there to be wood grain... 🤷‍♂️

millarde

Taken outdoors, cloudy day, on roofed and screened patio. No flash, just the natural lighting of that place at that time. No attempt at white balance beyond what the Android camera did on its own. I did crop a bit, but don't recall allowing it to "enhance" the photo.

jrista

Taken outdoors, cloudy day, on roofed and screened patio. No flash, just the natural lighting of that place at that time. No attempt at white balance beyond what the Android camera did on its own. I did crop a bit, but don't recall allowing it to "enhance" the photo.
A cloudy day has a VERY cool color temperature. I mentioned 6500K, but a cloudy day is more like 10000K. I think that explains the blue cast. A normal daylight sky is around 6500K, and direct sunlight is around 5200K.

As a photographer, I would expect a blue color cast for a photo taken under an overcast sky! Is there any chance you could get a closer photo of one of the blanks? If there really is a wood grain, I think that would be a telltale sign that its wood, and not just black resin.

egnald

I captured the picture and did a "Remove Color Cast" operation in Photoshop. I used the dust in the beaded areas of the board in the background as what would otherwise be "gray". The correction made a world of difference. The sapwood then looked tan and the heartwood looked nearly black while the background board still looked brown, more vibrant and "honey" colored, but I think it actually looked more like natural wood than it does in the original photo.

After the correction, the wood started to resemble Brazilian Ebony with Sapwood. Not only the colors and contrast between the dark and light wood, but also the grain / flecks that can be seen in the sapwood. I have also seen Gaboon Ebony with Sapwood that has similar characteristics.

- Dave

Top Bottom